XREF issue when bringing AutoCAD into Arcmap

04-13-2011 06:16 AM
JoeTack
New Contributor III
I have many floor plans for buildings in AutoCAD saved in version 2007.  Each individual file is in an orthogonal cartesian coordinate system (not projected).  I have created a empty CAD File with all of the floor plans xref'd and placed at their geographic location.  I'd like to bring this CAD file with multiple xref's into ARCmap and eventually use it to create a service.

The problem I am having is that all the annotation is being dropped and all layers are being drawn on layer 0.  In ArcMAP, in the Layer Properties control for the CAD layers all the layers from the CAD are shown, but all the polylines and polygons have migrated to the 0 layer.  Also, none of the annotation for the xref'd files are showing.

If I bring in the floor plans individually and create a world file, they work wonderfully.  But I can't create a map with 100's of floorplans and have it perform properly.

Thoughts?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JoeTack
New Contributor III
Upon further investigation, its not layer 0.  Its that the layer the XREF is inserted on in AutoCAD that controls visibility of the entire xref.  Individual layers are not controlling anything.
0 Kudos