Export map as KML file

06-04-2015 08:04 AM
MatthewEasterly
New Contributor II

I'm newbie to ArcGIS.  I have imported a map to the online ArcGIS app.  I need to convert it to KML so I can open it in a spreadsheet and copy the data to a database to show up as polygons on a Google map created by the Google Maps API 3.   I cannot figure out how to export the map as KML.  Please help.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Hi Matthew, I'm assuming your talking about ArcGis Online, but correct me if I'm wrong. Generally, you don't export a whole map, but a particular feature layer. In your case, I'm guessing that is some polygon features. According to this document, Use hosted web layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS, you can't export as a KML, but you can export as a CSV, as long as the features are downloadable, which will enable you to open it as a spreadsheet. If you have ArcGIS Desktop, you can also export to a shapefile, and then convert the shapefile to a KML in Desktop.

0 Kudos
MatthewEasterly
New Contributor II

I don't see an export option:

gisForum.PNG

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Can you post a link to this map so I can help you further. Is this your map that you are hosting?

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Matthew, I think I'm beginning to understand what you're trying to do. This appears to be an ESRI basemap that you have added to an ArcGIS Online map and then saved. In order to export a data layer, the data owner or administrator has  to configure the hosted feature layer to allow others to export the data. In this case, ESRI has not, so you can only use this basemap in Online or Desktop, and you cannot export it. What exactly are you aiming to do? There is probably a better way to get at it.

0 Kudos
MatthewEasterly
New Contributor II

I have an app that uses Google Maps API 3 to show territory polygons and markers.  We need to extract points (latitiude and longitude) from the ArcGIS maps to insert into a database that the API will hit to draw polygons.  The original plan was to do it with ArcGIS, but not sure how to do it so we used Google Maps API.

SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Ok, so you do have ArcGIS desktop then? If so, I would open this map in desktop, then use the tool Layer to KML (in Conversion toolbox) to export your layers. I don't think it's going to be possible from ArcGIS online, although I'm not certain.

0 Kudos
MatthewEasterly
New Contributor II
0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Ok, thanks. So is it the  "archive" shapes that you are trying to export?

0 Kudos
MatthewEasterly
New Contributor II

I believe so, but sending them to a CSV and then writing a script to enter the points into a database is a major pain.   Seems like there should be an easier way.

0 Kudos