Using SDO_GEOMETRY in ArcGIS Server

03-31-2015 09:26 AM
JimO_Leary3
New Contributor II

We have an Oracle database with tables with SDO_GEOMETRY fields. I understand that in order to publish and make these tables editable in ArcGIS Server 10.2 I have to have the ESRI ST_GEOMETRY data type. I have added that data type using the Create Spatial Type in ArcGIS Desktop 10.2 and can see the SDE schema tables in Oracle.

Now I am wondering if I can somehow convert or register the tables with the SDO_GEOMETRY to be used as ST_GEOMETRY in ArcGIS Server or if I have to create a geodatabase in Oracle that uses ST_GEOMETRY and duplicate the tables with SDO_GEOMETRY into tables as ST_GEOMETRY. We would obviously prefer to keep our existing tables only and somehow add them to ArcGIS Server.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Jim,

Adding this question to a few more groups....

GeodatabaseManaging DataArcGIS for Server

-George

--- George T.
0 Kudos
PaulDavidson1
Occasional Contributor III

Jim,

I haven't found any responses to this so far.  Which I assume means you had to do conversions by hand?

Did you happen to look at using Data Interop?  And any luck with that?

Or have you found an alternate method.  From what I can gather, just creating the spatial type doesn't populate the data.

We have data in 10.1 and we extract it into file geodatabases.

While doing some testing with Hosted Feature Services, I discovered that some of our polygons don't have ST_GEOMETRY data so I assume we need to do the conversion like you've had to deal with.

I haven't come across any info about the change to 10.2 so if you have any references, I'd appreciate that.

The best thing I've found so far for basic information is:

Feature classes in a geodatabase in Oracle—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

No, there is no requirement that data be stored in sde.ST_GEOMETRY to be published as a feature service.

In order to publish a feature service, the source feature class must be registered with the geodatabase.  This means an enterprise geodatabase must be installed.  But there is no reason why you cannot register a feature class using SDO_GEOMETRY geometry storage.

I do not recommend using Create Spatial Type unless you have no intention of enabling the database instance as an enterprise geodatabase.

- V