Why does the Coordinate Conversion Tool crashes ArcMap when using the Import table from a CSV?

08-09-2017 08:50 AM
VaneiriPatt1
New Contributor III

I am exploring the military tools available and have installed these Add-ins to ArcMap. I have tested the coordinate conversion tool with one coordinate at a time. When I go and try to import a csv, ArcMap will crash and close. 

Any reasons why? Or workaround? 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

is this the tool? and are your headers present and correct?  A couple sample rows plus header might help

0 Kudos
VaneiriPatt1
New Contributor III

HI Dan, 

Yes, that is the tool. I have one filed where I have the coordinates. 

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Check if you could work with Convert Coordinate Notation instead.

Think Location
0 Kudos
VaneiriPatt1
New Contributor III

Hi Jayanta,

I have tried using the Convert Coordinate Notation but I have the coordinates as Military Grid Reference System in one field but have an error. 

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

I think you have the input coordinate format wrong. It needs to be set to MGRS, not DD_2. However, you would need to remove at minimum the space between easting and northing values. 

16QCQ 56737 43993 -> 16QCQ 5673743993

However, USNG does allow the space, but data should be in the US, and it assumes NAD83.

Supported Notation Formats  (it's Pro doc, but same as ArcGIS Desktop)

Melita

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Well you can use one field to define your coordinates, but you will need to make sure that they meet the correct format

http://solutions.arcgis.com/defense/help/military-tools/arcmap/supported-notation-formats.htm

Alternately, it would have been far easier to collect the longitude and latitude values then do the conversion afterwards.  If the data originated from within a gps, then a quick change of display format and redownload would save a lot of time

0 Kudos