GIS for Insulation Coordination

11-03-2023 06:32 AM
Labels (1)
BillMeehan
Esri Contributor

Who is using GIS for their transmission system insulation coordination analysis or for the data for the analysis?

2 Replies
LydiaStekkinger
New Contributor III

I'm not sure I understand the question. Can you explain a bit more what you mean with "insulation coordination analysis"?

BillMeehan
Esri Contributor

Hi Lydia,

An insulation coordination analysis or study examines the impact of surges on electric lines. Surges are caused by lightning and switching. The study analyzes the dielectric strength of the insulation to withstand the surges.  The IEEE standard for Insulation Coordination is IEEE Std 1313.1-1996. The reason I asked is that the data required for such a study would be asset information that could be managed by a GIS. I have not seen examples of GIS used as part of an insulation coordination study. The study would example the BIL of the insulators/lightning protection,  and any outside impact on their effectiveness such as damage, salt contamination, age, and avian impacts. Included in this analysis is the grounding scheme and its effectiveness effectiveness. I have not seen any transmission company using GIS as part of an insulation coordination study.