Milsoft Symbols Change in AGO

Jump to solution
11-29-2023 06:28 AM
JD1016
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

The Milsoft symbols in my project file do not carry over to ArcGIS Online (AGO) after publishing.

I've attached two examples:  one indicating what should be seen...the other indicates what AGO illustrates.

Can someone offer any words of wisdom?

Thank you.

JD

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JD1016
by

This is an update from my original posting.  The Milsoft symbols will carryover to ArcGIS Online if you use ArcGIS Pro and publish them as a new map service.  You will right-click on your added server (stand-alone) within Catalog and select Publish-Map Service.  This issue came along at a good time and inspired me to begin converting from publishing using ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro.  I encourage anyone who is still using ArcMap for publishing, to begin now the conversion to ArcGIS Pro.  I've had to recreate all my original  project files from the ground up using ArcGIS Pro and it can be time consuming.

Have a good day everyone!

JD

View solution in original post

4 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It looks like the Milsoft symbols are based on a font, and the web map can't access the font, so it's defaulting to some other font. Any possibility the font could be replaced with actual images or SVG / EPS markers?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
JD1016
by

Hi Josh,

I actually had to install the font styles (see attached) provided my a Milsoft rep into Windows font in order to see them correctly before publishing.

I have experimented with creating a layout, adding a legend, converting the legend elements to graphics, ungrouping the graphics, and isolating the symbols.  But...how to crop the symbols, make sure they maintain their white color inside and not go transparent, how to get those into AGO, what size should they be, etc...leads to more questions on my side.

JD1016
by

Not seeing how I can replace the font with actual images in Windows font.  I also tried publishing as a web layer from ArcGIS Pro and all the locations came in as a black dot.

JD1016
by

This is an update from my original posting.  The Milsoft symbols will carryover to ArcGIS Online if you use ArcGIS Pro and publish them as a new map service.  You will right-click on your added server (stand-alone) within Catalog and select Publish-Map Service.  This issue came along at a good time and inspired me to begin converting from publishing using ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro.  I encourage anyone who is still using ArcMap for publishing, to begin now the conversion to ArcGIS Pro.  I've had to recreate all my original  project files from the ground up using ArcGIS Pro and it can be time consuming.

Have a good day everyone!

JD