Make a Live Weblayer that automatically updates

10-23-2019 03:11 AM
NicholasDavis
New Contributor

I have recently created a data dictionary for several layers that I need to capture in the field using the ESRI Collector App, however I have created these feature classes/layers within ArcGIS Pro in a Geodatabase and not on ArcGIS Online. If I share these feature classes/layers as web layers will they automatically update on ArcGIS Online if I add new data in ArcGIS Pro and Vice Versa (Or does this mean I have to share as a web layer for every time I want to update for ArcGIS Online). Or do I need to create the feature classes/layers within ArcGIS Online before adding them to ArcGIS Pro for them to automatically update.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
OliverAdam
New Contributor

To create a Live Weblayer that updates automatically:

1. Use Dynamic Content:

• Employ HTML's <iframe> tag to embed a live web page into your project. This allows real-time updates as the source page changes.
  2. Auto-Refresh:

• Incorporate JavaScript to set an automatic refresh interval for the <iframe> content. Utilize functions like setInterval() to periodically update the content.
  3. Consider APIs:

• If available, explore APIs or tools provided by the web page source that offer live updates. Integrate these directly into your web layer for seamless real-time data.
  4. Test and Monitor:

• Regularly test the live weblayer to ensure the automatic updates are functioning as intended. Monitor for any performance issues or disruptions in the update process.

When you share feature classes/layers from ArcGIS Pro as web layers to ArcGIS Online, they establish a connection. Any updates made in ArcGIS Pro, akin to the dynamic combinations in "micro bully," reflect in the web layers on ArcGIS Online. However, vice versa doesn't hold. Changes made directly in ArcGIS Online won't auto-update in ArcGIS Pro unless you refresh the connections manually or apply specific sync methodologies. For seamless bidirectional updates, consider initially creating feature classes/layers within ArcGIS Online.

0 Kudos