DIY Geo Apps MOOC "Ask Me Anything" Event

09-04-2018 09:37 AM
CandaceLoya
Occasional Contributor III

Thank you for joining us!

Wednesday, September 19, 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. (PDT)

Join our DIY Geo Apps MOOC guests here on the GeoNet Community for a LIVE AMA (Ask Me Anything) event. The AMA will take place in this discussion thread on Wednesday, September 19, 2018, from 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. (PDT). Click HERE to convert exact time for different countries.

10:00 a.m. You can now ask your question!

10:25 a.m. - If you are just joining us, feel free to ask any question.

10:30 a.m. - We're halfway through, Great questions! Keep them coming!

10:50 a.m. - Ten minutes to go! Got any fun questions for guests?

11:00 a.m. - That's a wrap! See you at the next Ask Me Anything event.

AMA Guests 

John Shramek

Derek Law

John Gravois

Rupert Essinger

Ian Wittenmyer

Sample Questions:

• What are careers in GIS?
  • What is the DIY Geo Apps MOOC?
  • Do you have any pets, etc.?
  • How long have you worked in GIS?
  • What made you choose GIS as a career?

We

How does the AMA work?
During the AMA, you can post your questions by clicking  the "Add Reply" button below and our guests will reply to your questions in comments. You are welcome to post questions ahead of the AMA and they will answer them during the AMA.

Please note: You must be logged in to post questions and see responses. See instructions 
on How to Log into GeoNet for the AMA

AMA Tips and GeoNet Community Guidelines
    • When asking questions and comments during the AMA, remember to follow the GeoNet Community Guiding Principles‌ Be Helpful, Be Human, Be Smart.
    • This discussion page will not auto-refresh, so please remember to refresh this page to see new questions, comments and replies.
71 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Faiza,

> Will ESRI expand to other nations (south asia and asia specifically because these places have a more diverse topography in short distances)?

As John said, there are esri offices worldwide - please see this link to find the nearest local Distributor office near you,

Esri Contact Us

(Just type in a country in the input box at the bottom of the page)

If you looking for local area datasets, try checking the Esri Living Atlas as a starting point,

Living Atlas of the World | ArcGIS 

Hope this helps,

IanWittenmyer
Esri Contributor

I cannot speak directly to the diploma vs Masters in GIS question.  To me it would be a function of your job prospects.  If you are currently working in GIS and can learn on the job, that is a great way to go.  If its that you are looking for ways to enter the job market, then a Masters can be a good asset to have.  But really that will just help open the door to opportunities.   Personally, what I look for when interviewing a candidate is passion about communicating information via maps, someone who has demonstrated that passion by creating maps either online or in print.  

Regarding the future of GIS, this video does a pretty good job of providing a perspective on that from Esri staff.   What i'm interested in related future of GIS is to improve the ways in users interact with a map to gain information, essentially the usability and design of mapping interfaces.  

Regarding the underground 3D mapping, we do currently have the capabilities to do underground mapping in 3D.  I'll share an example shortly.

IanWittenmyer
Esri Contributor

Here are two 3D underground examples:

Earthquakes local scene

http://arcg.is/5qfWK

Infrastructure Utility

http://arcg.is/0SryDK

ArifKassim1
New Contributor III

Hello,

I have recently purchased/renewed ArcGIS for Personal use, which I was using earlier. The earlier license expired in May 2018. Now I am not able to activate my already in use ArcGIS online account. How could I fix it?

RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

I'd recommend contacting Esri Customer Service directly about this: Contact Us | Esri  or via the Esri distributor in your specific country.

Rupert

JohnGravois
Frequent Contributor

while you're sorting things out with your account, you could also sign into a free developer account from the desktop software as well.

https://developers.arcgis.com/sign-up/ 

ArifKassim1
New Contributor III

Does having a ArcGIS for Personal use make me eligible for ArcGIS online account and enterprise login?

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

It gives you ArcGIS Online account but not Enterprise account:
ArcGIS for Personal Use Program | ArcGIS Desktop Advanced for Personal Use 

Rupert

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Also note: a personal ArcGIS Online account lets you do a lot of things but does not have the proper privileges to use them for our MOOCs.

0 Kudos
ChrisCatania
Esri Community Team

HI Arif - If you haven't already, you can check out and follow the new My Esri‌ space on GeoNet to get information and ask additional questions. 

Esri Community Strategist