DIY Geo Apps MOOC "Ask Me Anything" Event

09-04-2018 09:37 AM
CandaceLoya
Occasional Contributor III

Thank you for joining us!

Wednesday, September 19, 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. (PDT)

Join our DIY Geo Apps MOOC guests here on the GeoNet Community for a LIVE AMA (Ask Me Anything) event. The AMA will take place in this discussion thread on Wednesday, September 19, 2018, from 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. (PDT). Click HERE to convert exact time for different countries.

10:00 a.m. You can now ask your question!

10:25 a.m. - If you are just joining us, feel free to ask any question.

10:30 a.m. - We're halfway through, Great questions! Keep them coming!

10:50 a.m. - Ten minutes to go! Got any fun questions for guests?

11:00 a.m. - That's a wrap! See you at the next Ask Me Anything event.

AMA Guests 

John Shramek

Derek Law

John Gravois

Rupert Essinger

Ian Wittenmyer

Sample Questions:

• What are careers in GIS?
  • What is the DIY Geo Apps MOOC?
  • Do you have any pets, etc.?
  • How long have you worked in GIS?
  • What made you choose GIS as a career?

We

How does the AMA work?
During the AMA, you can post your questions by clicking  the "Add Reply" button below and our guests will reply to your questions in comments. You are welcome to post questions ahead of the AMA and they will answer them during the AMA.

Please note: You must be logged in to post questions and see responses. See instructions 
on How to Log into GeoNet for the AMA

AMA Tips and GeoNet Community Guidelines
    • When asking questions and comments during the AMA, remember to follow the GeoNet Community Guiding Principles‌ Be Helpful, Be Human, Be Smart.
    • This discussion page will not auto-refresh, so please remember to refresh this page to see new questions, comments and replies.
71 Replies
RobertoTantari
New Contributor II

yes madam,

if I'm not logged in DIY geo-apps ,I can't see the app

see the link:

https://diygeoapps2.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapTour/index.html?appid=4df06614a1b448eb9836632c22dd7ac7

why? all layer are public and shared with everyone

regards

0 Kudos
JohnGravois
Frequent Contributor

besides the layers, are you sure the app itself has been shared with everyone?

0 Kudos
CatherineSchenck-Yglesias1
New Contributor

Roberto, thanks for sharing.  At present, it looks like a travelogue in purpose in that you are recording the natural beauty as you see it in those surroundings.  If you want it to become something a plant scientist or even a user of nature stock photography would browse or search, then additional content and search filters on plant name (genus, species) and other attributes would be useful.

RobertoTantari
New Contributor II

Thanks madam,

when I have time I'll enhance my story with scientific names that I already Know...like "Lepiota Procera" for the mushroom shaped like umbrella and together with beech trees, stratified layers of cretaceus limestone ecc.

I would point out that decimal degrees coordinates (latitude and longitude) of photos are right

regards

RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Roberto the issue where people get prompted to sign in when they launch your publicly shared Story Map Tour via the URL you posted is that the web map you are using in your Map Tour contains some additional layers that require an ArcGIS Online subscription for people to access outside of your organization.  In this situation go to My Stories https://storymaps.arcgis.com/en/my-stories/ and look for your Story Map Tour. You should get a message that you need to confirm that you want your readers to be able to access those subscription only services. For more info see the Story Maps section in this blog post: Using Living Atlas subscriber content in public maps and apps 

Rupert

LisaCasey
New Contributor III

Hello - I am using my organizational account to complete the GeoApps MOOC. I am an admin. I can share items with the public, or my own organization. How can I share, or be added to the " Do-It-Yourself Geo Apps organization."?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Lisa, you don't have to share your apps for the guided parts of the exercises, only the DIY parts. For those, you just need to share to the public and everyone, whether they're in the class org or not, will be able to see it. Thanks!

LisaCasey
New Contributor III

Thank you!

JohnGravois
Frequent Contributor

We're not actually curating content using groups like we have in the past. we could add you if we knew your username, but it wouldn't actually be too helpful.

VaibhavGupta4
New Contributor II

Hey!
I'm Vaibhav, a graduate with Bachelors degree in Commerce (i.e Accounting/ Business Laws/ Taxation) from University of Delhi, India. Unlike my field of study, I've developed

interest in geospatial analysis/ location intelligence and for past 1 year I've have been trying to learn more about the skill sets required for this field by going through articles, interacting with people and learning through online courses from sites like Coursera, Udemy etc.
I was wondering if you can suggest some online programs/ distance learning masters/ diploma courses that can help me boost my career (I'm not able to land jobs since I don't have any degree related to GIS field)
Also, I got to know about the MBA in Location Analytics offered by University of Redlands (again that is a distance learning course) will it be helpful for a fresh undergrad student without any full-time work experience?
Thanks