Introducing Deep Learning using Map Viewer Classic

01-28-2022 01:36 PM
TimothyKinlaw
Esri Contributor

This video will introduce you to the deep learning tools available in Map Viewer Classic! We will see how to use deep learning packages available through the Living Atlas and how to achieve more desirable results.

This was recorded using ArcGIS Online Map Viewer Classic and Living Atlas on January 6th, 2022, using the ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online extension.

For further deep learning training, check out Esri's Imagery Analysis in ArcGIS Pro course: https://bit.ly/3rK89MR.

6 Replies
KevinMayall
Occasional Contributor III

I replicated this process, except I used "Use current map extent" instead of a polygon layer, and running the model just returns an error: DetectObjectsUsingDeepLearning failed. 'dict' object has no attribute 'find'. 

Kevin
0 Kudos
TimothyKinlaw
Esri Contributor

Hi Kevin, I have also seen and have replicated this error message. I have not identified a definitive cause for the error message. I have found success using a layer to define the processing extent listed in the analysis environment. I have also been able use the current map extent using imagery I published to ArcGIS Online with out this issue. If I find a definite cause, I'll post here.

Best,

Tim

0 Kudos
KevinMayall

I did try this as well.  I created a new polygon hosted feature layer from the Contents page, then digitized a polygon in ArcGIS Online.  But when I used it, it seems that the extent of that layer was much larger than the polygon (the analysis was going to require 300,000+ credits!).  I guess if I created a polygon feature class in ArcGIS Pro, it would modify the layer extent to just the polygon, and then I could share it to ArcGIS Online for use as a processing extent layer.

Kevin
0 Kudos
TimothyKinlaw
Esri Contributor

Well that would be quite expensive. I replicated that cost of 344,000~ credits by removing any processing extent restriction.

My bounding box layer was created in ArcGIS Pro and then published, but that should not cause that issue.

When using these tools in Map Viewer Classic, there are the Analysis Environments accessible from the cog icon in the top right of the analysis pane. This is where you can specify the processing extent using the polygon layer. Make sure this is set to your polygon layer. When you use the processing extent option, the "Use current map extent" will uncheck itself, because you changed how the "extent" is being defined.

0 Kudos
KevinMayall

Yup, that's what I did as per the video.  It seems that when you create a new feature layer in AGOL, the map extent gets set to the world.  I used Map Viewer Classic to digitize a polygon around a small US town.  When I use that as the processing extent for the analysis, it quotes 300,000+ credits (I just replicated again now).  Also, after digitizing the polygon, if you Zoom to Layer, the map zooms to the world - confirms that the extent isn't set how we want it.

Kevin
0 Kudos
TimothyKinlaw
Esri Contributor

Hey Kevin, I reached out to contacts and confirmed that this is a bug. I will log this bug so it is resolved.

When creating the layer using the ArcGIS Online interface, the layer's extent remains at the spatial reference's maximum, rather than adopting the spatial extent of the feature(s). If you publish the layer from ArcGIS Pro, the layer's extent does reflect the maximum of the feature(s). This difference of defining a layer's extent causes this issue when specifying processing extent with a layer in Map Viewer Classic's analysis tools. 

Thank you for raising this concern!

Tim

0 Kudos