Mapping Success: 5 Advantages of Joining Esri Young Professionals Network (YPN)

01-04-2024 07:00 AM
RosemaryBoone
Esri Regular Contributor
15 10 707

Esri Young Professionals Network (YPN) was created to support a community of professionals and students pursuing a GIS career. We provide opportunities to help young pros grow their network, find mentors, build their soft and technical skills, and provide resources to flourish and further develop your career path.

Whether you're a freshman in college, graduate student, new to a GIS career, or a seasoned GIS professional, Esri YPN is for everyone! YPN members learn about the power of location technology, connect with like-minded peers and industry experts, and gain leadership experience that can advance their careers. 

Here are five ways of how joining Esri YPN can enhance your GIS journey.

g4687888-ypn-urisa-ebook-follow-up-1200by600-c.jpg

1) Networking Opportunities

The saying really is true, "it's about who you know." Networking at conferences, socials, mixers, and other industry events can lead to life changing opportunities and open doors.

Esri YPN creates networking opportunities by hosting bi-annual virtual networking meetups, YPN regional chapter meetups, socials at conferences like the Esri User Conference (UC), Federal GIS Conference (FedGIS), and the American Association of Geographers (AAG). 

Stay in the loop for upcoming networking opportunities by:

ypn-ambassador-program-1200x678.jpg

2) Knowledge Sharing

As you progress in your studies and in your career path, you need a space to share knowledge whether it’s industry trends, research papers, best practices, training opportunities, and more.

YPN Esri provides a space for knowledge sharing through:

• YPN Esri Community space. Create a post in the Networking space, ask a question, or connect with a potential mentor all in the YPN Esri Community space. Subscribe to YPN Esri Community.
  • YPN LinkedIn group. Join the private YPN LinkedIn Group where our members share their GIS projects, open positions, latest trends, upcoming events, and more. Request to join the group.
  • Webinars. Attend our bi-annual webinars focused on subjects around marketing yourself, standing out from the crowd, career advice, and mentoring opportunities. Visit the YPN events page.

g4309160-ypn-esri-community-social-graphics-1200x628-1.jpg

3) Peer Support

Engaging with a community of peers allows you to share experiences, challenges, and successes. This sense of community can provide emotional support and reduce feelings of isolation.

When you join YPN, you’re joining a community and network that gives you an opportunity to meet with peers to lean on for support.

These are ways to gain peer support through joining YPN.

• Attend an Esri conference through the Esri YPN discounted rate such as the Esri User Conference, Federal GIS conference, and Esri Developers Summit.
  • Attend a YPN chapter meetup. Each chapter hosts two in person meetups a year. Sometimes more! There are seven regional chapter locations across the US such as Redlands, Denver, Philadelphia, DC, and more. Join a YPN chapter near you.
  • Attend YPN's bi-annual virtual networking meetup where you will be placed in break out rooms to practice your networking skills and meet people from around the world. Visit the YPN events page.
  • Ask a question in the YPN Esri Community Questions space.

ypn-uc-1.png

4) Access to Resources

As YPN member, you get access to resources on career advice, training opportunities, Esri internships and assistantships, professional development, networking tips, and more. 

Here are resources we regularly point to after joining the network

enhance-geospatial-career-li-1200x628-b.jpg

5) Member Badge & Digital Swag

All who join Esri YPN get an email linking to your Esri YPN Member badge and digital swag such as social media images and Zoom/Teams backgrounds. You can also request your member badge here.

Sport your member badge on your email signature and share with your social network to show you’re proactive in growing your network and connecting with your GIS community. Read this blog More than Just a Badge: What an Esri YPN Member Badge Can Say about You.

higher-education-primary-swag.jpg

There you have it, five benefits in joining YPN and how you can leverage this network as you navigate through your GIS journey. 

It's no cost to join Esri YPN, simply just fill out this form.

10 Comments
gabymoss
New Contributor II

Hi Rosemary, it's nice to "meet you"

I just requested to download the ebook... I didn't know that existed! Thanks for sharing all of these resources, super helpful!

RosemaryBoone
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Gabrielle - thanks for the comment! So glad you downloaded the e-book. We worked with @URISAVanguard to create this ebook together and hopefully you are able to get some great advice on how you can use social media to build a presence as you start your GIS career. I saw you are new to GIS and are pursuing a certificate. What industry or field of study are you looking to incorporate GIS in? 

R__MichaelCousins
New Contributor II

Anyone reading this, just do it and sign up! There are no negatives to being a part of this group!

Cheers, Mike

tdrichar
New Contributor II

The resources provided are great! I will be sharing this with my coworkers this week. Thanks!

Imam
by
New Contributor II

This is a great opportunity, I will be informing my colleagues about this.

IaroslavZifceac
New Contributor II

Great opportunity. I am willing to share it within my Romanian Young Surveyor Organisation. 

MaricieloVillacorta
New Contributor

Verdadero

IsaacQuaye
New Contributor

Thanks for sharing this. @RosemaryBoone Do you have plans of extending this opportunity to high school folks ? I know Esri offered a platform to some kids at the UC 2024.

RosemaryBoone
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @IsaacQuaye - the offering that Esri extends to kids is free access to our software which more info can be found here. Kids cannot request access to software but their districts, teachers, club leader, or parents can. 

Ben_Crane
New Contributor

@RosemaryBoone It was so cool to meet you at the YPN meetup at the Redlands chapter and I am definitely going to take advantage of this and become a YPN Ambassador.