road line conflation issue

04-01-2024 06:30 AM
Labels (2)
WenjunYang
New Contributor II

Morning from chill Kansas. In my recent work, we encountered the issue of conflating road line from two different maps. One is ESRI database, and the other is Google Map. As we found out that the same roads are not consistent when overlapping two maps. Just want to check if anyone has good solution about line conflation. 

Solution one from me. 

set up a buffer for the road on both maps and match the roads based on the largest overlapping area. 

Solution two. 

Cut the big map into small pieces. 

For each piece, compute Frechet or Hausdorff distances between roads. Matching the roads with the smallest distance. 

Any other solutions are super welcome. 

4 Replies
Dale_Honeycutt
Occasional Contributor II

Have you looked at the Conflation toolset within the Editing Toolbox?  

0 Kudos
WenjunYang
New Contributor II

Thanks for the solution. I have tried pairwise integrate and pairwise intersect. But no luck. I also tried spatial join within distance. Will try conflation tool as well. 

0 Kudos
Dale_Honeycutt
Occasional Contributor II

I'm curious -- when you say 'Google Map', do you mean the Google Map image (like I would get in my browser) or have you somehow gotten vector linework of Google Maps? Because conflating to an image is very different than conflating to vector linework.  

0 Kudos
WenjunYang
New Contributor II

That is a great question. Yes, I am talking about vector conflation. However, the Google map here means the lat/lon info for the vertices of the road line is extracted from google map. The road line is originally from LRS. 

0 Kudos