Select to view content in your preferred language

How I started my GIS career

04-05-2024 09:39 AM
Labels (3)
Tony_DLR22
New Contributor III

Hello fellow GIS enthusiasts! Like many of you, my primary goal during college was securing a job, so I combed all the job boards you can think of. I wasn't the top student or the most outgoing, but I possessed a strong work ethic and was determined to excel if given the chance.

Stepping out of my comfort zone, I attended several conferences and GIS-related events. Randomly approaching people didn't come natural to me, but I embraced the mantra of "fake it till you make it." After numerous applications and networking efforts, I landed a promising interview opportunity! It was with a Crime Analyst whom I had met at a local GIS Day Event. They were looking to offer me an internship opportunity and sought to offer me the position after a formal interview process.

Fast forward to today, I have over 7 years of professional GIS experience in local government/utility sectors. I’m a one-person GIS team managing a complete Enterprise GIS. I’ve also had the privilege of presenting my work at various GIS conferences/events.

Here are some key takeaways from my journey so far:

1. Network, Network, Network!!: Every job offer I've received stemmed from a face-to-face connection.
  2. Remain coachable: Maintain a positive attitude, and smile. People are drawn to those who exhibit enthusiasm and positivity.
  3. Embrace Challenges:  Technology is ever-changing so you're always learning something new to stay ahead. I like the saying "If you're not making mistakes, then you're refusing to learn anything new".

Feel free to connect if you share a similar experience or would like to chat! https://www.linkedin.com/in/antonio-de-la-rosa

10 Replies
RosemaryBoone
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Tony - I appreciate your advice and authenticity. It's incredible the doors that open just from meeting people face to face whether it's a conference, meetups, association event, workshop, seminar, etc etc. It truly propels you in coming out of your shell, embracing the uncomfortable, and coming out of it a stronger professional and more confident person! I sent you a LinkedIn request. You have some very valuable advice to offer especially from being a one-person GIS department. This is a topic we have not yet written about but resonates with so many young pros. Email me at rboone@esri.com if you're interested in publishing a blog post on that topic. Thanks for your post and nice to meet you! - Rosemary Boone, YPN Advisory Board Member & Sr. Industry Marketing Manager, Esri

Tony_DLR22
New Contributor III

Thanks Rosemary,  I'm excited to see what's to come next at YPN. I'll send you an email.

0 Kudos
Logan_Stevens
Esri Contributor

What a story! Getting out of your comfort zone is so important... I can't stress it enough!

Esri YPN will benefit from hearing more about your story. If you're interested in telling us more about it, definitely email @RosemaryBoone to share more!

Tony_DLR22
New Contributor III

Thank you and YPN for the kind invitation! I'll be sure to email Rosemary. 

0 Kudos
EzekielAlao
New Contributor II

This is a captivating narrative, and it presents a compelling challenge to us YPs to continue to improve our networking abilities.

Thanks, @Tony_DLR22 for sharing this. I am genuinely motivated by it.

IsaacQuaye
New Contributor II

This is so inspiring. Thank you for sharing. 

0 Kudos
BenedictaAntwi
New Contributor II

Network, network, network. Thank you for this great advice. It was really inspiring

0 Kudos
Christopher_Mayes
New Contributor II

Thank you for your insights and your tips, I will certainly keep all of this in mind moving forward!

0 Kudos
AbdulAzeezLawal
New Contributor II

Thank you for sharing your insights!

0 Kudos