The 2024 Geodesign Summit

a month ago
Labels (3)
EzekielAlao
New Contributor II

Hi all,

Did anyone else here attend the just concluded Geodesign Summit 2024?

Personally, attending the Geodesign Summit 2024 proved to be immensely advantageous for my academic and professional development. Having my current research focus on land degradation, the summit offered me a deeper understanding of innovative analytical tools.

The workshop sessions on the ArcGIS Pro Deep Learning Classification Process opened up new perspectives on how to apply remote sensing technology to my research. I learned about the significance of True Color Imagery and, more importantly, the use of NDVI derived from multispectral aerial imagery. NDVI stands as an invaluable tool for gauging vegetation health, offering a way to systematically track and quantify changes in vegetation, which are often indicative of land degradation processes. This index is pivotal for distinguishing between healthy, thriving vegetation and areas where the land is deteriorating, either due to natural factors or anthropogenic influences. The insights into DSM and DTM height values further presented a method to measure and analyze the Earth's surface and its variations. These height values are particularly useful in identifying geographical patterns of erosion and other topographical alterations that signal degradation, giving me a more detailed spatial understanding of the changes occurring within landscapes.

The summit also showcased the integration of dynamic 3D environments into urban planning. Such immersive models are instrumental in simulating the progression of urban sprawl and its ensuing effects on land integrity. The introduction of the Segment Anything Model (SAM) also caught my attention. Its capability for granular land cover analysis is revolutionary, offering a way to dissect and examine land in segments, which could vastly improve the precision with which we identify and manage degraded areas.

An additional insight from the summit was the application of Land Use and Land Cover (LULC) classifications, along with GIS-generated diagrams, within an active geodesign framework for scrutinizing Climate Policies (CPs) and Climate Actions (CAs). This approach offers a structured method for visualizing and implementing climate-sensitive initiatives with precise timelines and actionable steps.

The knowledge and methods gained from the summit have equipped me with contemporary strategies to apply to my ongoing research, promising to enhance the effectiveness and accuracy of my work in this critical area of environmental study.

Please share with me the insights and knowledge you acquired from the summit.

Tags (4)
0 Replies