vb.net load GDB into a dataset for editing

05-07-2012 10:30 PM
AlistairMcMillan
New Contributor
Hi
I currently run Arcgis 10 sp4. I developed an app in vb.net 2008 that works with data from a personal geodatabase mdb i.e. reads a table into a dataset and works with the dataset updating records back to the database. Once in the dataset I'm using the usual ado.net functionality to read and edit the textual data.

Is there any way I can do this with a file geodatabase?

regards,

Bruce
0 Kudos
2 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
The File Geodatabse API is basically a stripped-down version of the ArcObjects code
that supports file geodatabases.  If you already have access to ArcObjects it seems
counter-intuitive to use the less-capable implementation (the FDGDB API exists for
those that *don't* have access to ArcObjects).

Direct access to the Access .mdb file used in personal geodatabases has never been
supported by Esri (even though it has, for the most part, worked), so you'd be a step
up in using a supported API to FGDBs, but it isn't clear that there'd be any real benefit
to using FGDBAPI over AO.

- V
0 Kudos
AlistairMcMillan
New Contributor
Thanks V.
Could you please tell me where to start to get the knowledge to use ArcObjects (or FGDB API) in my VB code. At the moment I see a mass of project ESRI references, long winded naming conventions that I'm sure will mean something to me one day and so many page's of help files I eventually go cross-eye'd. All for a few lines of code by the looks of things.

regards,

Bruce
0 Kudos