Ideas for Master's Thesis Project in Geotechnical/Mining Engineering

12-02-2015 11:56 AM
Labels (2)
JoaquinRoibal
Occasional Contributor

Hello Everyone,

​ I am a graduate student in geotechnical engineering. I am working on my my Master's Project and I would like for it to be GIS-based. Where can I begin to research project ideas within my field (Geotechnical/Mining Engineering) that I can perform analysis using GIS. I would like to use GIS for my master's project because eventually I would like to become a GIS Analyst living in Boulder, Colorado, and because of the low cost and availability of GIS software.Thank you in Advance.

-Joaquin

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

- modelling slope stability in areas of seasonal freeze-thaw (examine the spatial relationship between surficial materials, terrain derivatives and historic slide features)

- data models for geotechnical data (standards for obtaining, presenting and analysing geotechnical data in a spatial context.

- what are your interests?  I can suggest the ever-boring interpolation method comparative analysis, 3d modelling of slip plane or rotational slope failure?  GIS will be the tool unless you want to get into the algorithmic implementation and development for something that hasn't be developed yet

on to you

0 Kudos
JoaquinRoibal
Occasional Contributor

Dan,

These are some great suggestions, thank you. I am particularly interested in slope stability in seasonal freeze-thaw and landslides. Where would I get the required data for this project, the USGS, State Geological Agencies? Thanks in advance.

-Joaquin

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

In the States?  No clue, but satellite imagery might be a primary source and the agencies you mentions.  Also field work,  Google Earth for the couch researcher etc.  Check Canadian, Scandinavian and Russian literature or any literature related to mountainous regions, there is lots out there... besides it is your thesis good luck

0 Kudos
JoaquinRoibal
Occasional Contributor

Dan--Yes that's true. Haha thank you very much for your suggestions!

0 Kudos
ChadKopplin
Occasional Contributor III

Joaquin,

I may consider working and with and comparing slope stability in mines or mined areas versus non mined areas, and maybe develop a model that could be used to predict landslide potential.  Just a thought.

JoaquinRoibal
Occasional Contributor

Chad,

Thank you very much for your fantastic response. I will look into this further.

-Joaquin

0 Kudos