Electric Outage Management

10-29-2013 11:33 AM
EricMack1
New Contributor
I have a question, I'm pretty sure I know the answer to it but I want to confirm with others.  Is it possible to somehow tie our smart meter outage data in GIS without using a 3rd party solution like Telvent? I'm in the process of building our electric network in GIS, and it has been asked of me to try and do this without a 3rd party application.  I'm not very familiar with our electric meter technology but I'm not sure that this is possible.  I just want to know if this is possible to do and if so how to go about it.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MikeGoggin
New Contributor II
Hi Eric,

I know this is late but hope it helps.

The quick answer is yes, however, depending on what you are trying to do the level of complexity will vary.  My personal opinion is to keep things as simple as possible.  For example if your meters have GPS locations just plot the outages on a map and use the temporal data to filter out what you want to see.  If you need to see real-time outages look at using GeoEvent Processor linked to your meter data management (MDM) system.  If you have more information on what you are trying to do I can offer a more pointed solution.

Use geography as your integration method whenever you can.

Mike Goggin
0 Kudos
ModernElectric
Occasional Contributor III
Eric-

I have done some of the same stuff that you are talking about. Depending on what you are currently using will depend on how much I can help and offer assistance. What type of ArcGIS products are you using and what company/software are you using for your smart meters. I have tried to make it as simple as possible - by bringing in live data from an Oracle Database into GIS through an ODBC connection by joining data into GIS and specifying different symbols. The data through the ODBC connection is usually live from the smart meter database and GIS is used to produce the reading data in a visual way. Let me know.

I have a question, I'm pretty sure I know the answer to it but I want to confirm with others.  Is it possible to somehow tie our smart meter outage data in GIS without using a 3rd party solution like Telvent? I'm in the process of building our electric network in GIS, and it has been asked of me to try and do this without a 3rd party application.  I'm not very familiar with our electric meter technology but I'm not sure that this is possible.  I just want to know if this is possible to do and if so how to go about it.
0 Kudos
EricMack1
New Contributor
Thanks for both of your responses! We are currently using Elster meters and Elster's Energy ICT MDM.  I am able to view outages live using Elster's EnergyICT which uses oracle.  I have a meter database shapefile with the the some of the same information that is in EnergyICT such as account #, Meter #, address etc.  How do I go about tying the two together so I can see the live data from EnergyICT in GIS?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Do I need to install the oracle ODBC driver and use that? What are the steps after that? 

Thanks,

Eric
Tipp City Electric
0 Kudos
LukeFinch
New Contributor
Yes it is possible to tie smart meter outage data in GIS without using a 3rd party solution but it vary condition to condition.
0 Kudos