Gas Distribution System Modeling

12-07-2010 08:22 PM
TimHayes
Occasional Contributor III
I work at a Wastewater Treatment Plant, we are using InfoWater to develop a Hydraulic Model for our Process Water System. Our Engineers have asked us if we can develop a model for our internal Gas Distributions Systems (something like an InfoWater Model except for Gas). They want the model to help them identify deficiencies in the system and areas where efficiencies can be realized. Is there ArcGIS Business Partner software or a process that is capable of developing such a model.

I am a Water/Wastewater person, this is my first venture into the Gas realm.

thanks.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
TroyBumgardner
New Contributor
http://www.gl-nobledenton.com/en/software/product_suites/synerGEE.php

I found you looking for some solutions using this product with our new ESRI enterprise-wide GIS system.  We're trying to transition from CAD.  Good luck!
0 Kudos
RobertMcElroy
New Contributor
About a year ago, Gas Technology Institute (GTI) initiated a program to develop the Gas Distribution Model (GDM) to meet this need with three specific purposes. First, the model will be used as a data exchange function between operator data models and vendor�??s software products to reduce the need for customization. Second, the model can store both transmission and distribution data and will facilitate vertical data integration.  Third, GDM could be used as the primary data model for operators to avoid the need for internally developing a model.  Additional information on GDM can be found in the attached powerpoint presentation.    

The GDM initiative brought together a diverse group of operators, vendors, and industry experts to collaboratively develop a GIS-neutral model that holds promise to reduce the cost of software implementation and improve interoperability. GDM is a flexible model that will grow and expand with continued use and development. GTI has completed GDM v1.0 and is soliciting participation from distribution operators and software vendors in pilot projects.  We will be conducting a webinar early next year to provide more information and to demonstrate the capabilities of GDM.
0 Kudos
martinnman
New Contributor
FHCS can help engineers design the gas distribution systems for large companies, such as universities in cold areas and industrial complexes etc. FHCS employs state of the module called Steam2000 Pipe2006 family of software for this purpose. Steam2000 can handle very large loop piping system with multiple compressors, pressure reducers and multiple sources.
0 Kudos
CasperBaker
New Contributor
I think that venturing in this school of thought will be really beneficial to those concerned though looking at the prospective population to use it, it isn't that great, or there aren't much people concerned with it.

The business model should be capable of covering all holes and pretty much how the enterprises you are going to present them to will look for the same thing. Though arcgis should be able to handle just that.
0 Kudos
RonaldWisner
New Contributor
http://www.gl-nobledenton.com/en/software/product_suites/synerGEE.php

I found you looking for some solutions using this product with our new ESRI enterprise-wide GIS system.  We're trying to transition from CAD.  Good luck!

I can speak to this with some experience. Their software is veeery expensive and complicated to operate. Also, veeery expensive to have them update your model. You will need an employee dedicated to this software who can learn to build models and run it to get any use out of it.

We are currently looking to replace our SynerGEE with something else.

Ron
0 Kudos
shahinali
New Contributor
Hello,

Just come across this old thread. I use SynerGEE gas on a daily basis and yes it is a complicated system, however if you are used to fluid analysis, there should not be a problem picking up the process of using the system. Let me know if you need any further info on this.
0 Kudos