Convert Canada FSA Digital Boundary Files EPSG:3347 into EPSG:4326

a month ago
SaurabhUpadhyaya
Occasional Contributor

Hi Team,

I am working on Canada FSA Digital Boundary Files which are available on gov website (https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2021/geo/sip-pis/boundary-limites/index2021-eng.cfm?y...). 

I have download this shape files and it is in EPSG:3347 NAD83 / Statistics Canada Lambert coordinate system, now my requirement is to transform this into EPSG:4326 but after changing the projection polygons shape is changed and on arcgis online it is displaying very bad. Can you please help me , how to change the cordinate system so its view should be correct

SaurabhUpadhyaya_1-1712146927028.png

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you use the

Project (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

or

Define Projection (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

The first is the correct tool to use, the second is only to be used if the data does not have a defined coordinate system to begin with

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
SaurabhUpadhyaya
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I tried first option Project(Data Management) to change the projection system.

In Existing Data coordinate system is NAD83/Statistics Canada Lambert Coordinate reference system and i want to change it into EPSG 4326, after changing the coordinates its shape change.

This is the actual data of canada FSA, (NAD83/Statistics Canada Lambert Coordinate reference system)

SaurabhUpadhyaya_1-1712206752230.png

After applying EPSG:4326 it becomes this shape.

SaurabhUpadhyaya_0-1712206672785.png

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Screenshot 2024-04-04 051922.png

Don't use the cartographic version, and add extra vertices to preserve shape during the projection

The above is a plain wgs84 version of the lambert

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos