Differences and benefits between SQL Server corporate geodatabase and PostgreSQL with PostGIS extension

Jump to solution
2 weeks ago
FabioNeiraAlzate
New Contributor II

Hello everyone,

I'm currently evaluating options for implementing a corporate geodatabase and I'm debating between two options: using Microsoft's SQL Server or PostgreSQL with the PostGIS extension, both with Esri's corporate geodatabase.

I'd like to hear your thoughts and experiences regarding the key differences between these two options, as well as the benefits each one offers in terms of performance, scalability, geospatial capabilities, interoperability with other applications, and any other relevant aspects I should consider.

I appreciate any input or recommendations you can share to help me make an informed decision.

Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

My 2 cents to contribute to this discussion.

SQL Server - need to buy licenses, do not go with standard edition, you need enterprise edition because it has nice features like rebuild indexes online, parallelism, etc., backup and recovery is easier, can do point in time recovery really easy, Esri uses the native SQL Server Spatial data types to store the spatial data, there is no esri st_geometry spatial type in SQL Server, also get the SQL Server security updates and technical support. SQL Server supports Windows Authentication, very easy to setup. SQL Server can run on Windows and Linux as well.

PostgreSQL:  free open source, but backup recovery not as easy, point in time recovery difficult, need to install PG updates and if using PostGIS then install the PostGIS updates as well, Esri has st_geometry spatial type for PostgreSQL, decision to use esri st_geometry or PostGIS is up to the customer to decide, many customers pay for the EnterpriseDB solutions on top of PostgreSQL for their deployments, and EnterpriseDB can help with paid technical support.

How to Upgrade the PostgreSQL and PostGIS version for the Enterprise Geodatabase on Windows
How to Upgrade the PostgreSQL and PostGIS version for the Enterprise Geodatabase on Linux
How to Configure Windows Authentication for the PostgreSQL Enterprise Geodatabase

I hope this helps.

Enterprise Geodatabases Best Practices visit my community.esri.com blog.

Mapping and Charting Solutions (MCS) Enterprise Da... - Esri Community

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov

View solution in original post

3 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

This is more like a religious issue than a technical one. The DBA should have a say in the process, since they'll be the one supporting the configuration.

Esri supports both (provided you're using the release documented as supported [and recognize "and higher" where appropriate]).

Benchmarking both for your requirements is not a bad idea.

- V

FabioNeiraAlzate
New Contributor II

Thanks for your contribution

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

My 2 cents to contribute to this discussion.

SQL Server - need to buy licenses, do not go with standard edition, you need enterprise edition because it has nice features like rebuild indexes online, parallelism, etc., backup and recovery is easier, can do point in time recovery really easy, Esri uses the native SQL Server Spatial data types to store the spatial data, there is no esri st_geometry spatial type in SQL Server, also get the SQL Server security updates and technical support. SQL Server supports Windows Authentication, very easy to setup. SQL Server can run on Windows and Linux as well.

PostgreSQL:  free open source, but backup recovery not as easy, point in time recovery difficult, need to install PG updates and if using PostGIS then install the PostGIS updates as well, Esri has st_geometry spatial type for PostgreSQL, decision to use esri st_geometry or PostGIS is up to the customer to decide, many customers pay for the EnterpriseDB solutions on top of PostgreSQL for their deployments, and EnterpriseDB can help with paid technical support.

How to Upgrade the PostgreSQL and PostGIS version for the Enterprise Geodatabase on Windows
How to Upgrade the PostgreSQL and PostGIS version for the Enterprise Geodatabase on Linux
How to Configure Windows Authentication for the PostgreSQL Enterprise Geodatabase

I hope this helps.

Enterprise Geodatabases Best Practices visit my community.esri.com blog.

Mapping and Charting Solutions (MCS) Enterprise Da... - Esri Community

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov