Error trying to view locks

Jump to solution
12-19-2017 10:29 AM
MichaelStranovsky
Occasional Contributor

I am receiving this error while clicking on the lock tab in Geodatabase Administration using ArcCatalog 10.5.1.  Has anyone else experienced this?

56 Replies
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Strange, but It's not having the error today

0 Kudos
HughRound
New Contributor II

I am also getting this error in Desktop 10.6.1. The database is 10.6.1, MS SQL.

JulieDel_Muto
New Contributor II

Me too. Just started getting it and we upgraded in May.

0 Kudos
RandyKreuziger
Occasional Contributor III

Several of our SQL 2012 geodatabases are still at 10.4.1.  ArcGIS Pro crashes when attempting to view locks when the NULL column value is encountered!  Pro crashing is beyond disappointing for a new product!  ESRI wants customers to migrate to Pro but in my experience it crashes just as much as ArcMap.

BarbaraS
Occasional Contributor

Randy, which ArcGIS Pro version are you running? There a some versions that are simply unworkable with (I think it was 2.4.1 or .2) and others work just fine. If it keeps crashing, it is worth trying an upgrade OR a downgrade (you will have to uninstall Pro first for doing the latter). Hang in there

0 Kudos
AlinaTaus
Occasional Contributor

I am having the same error at 10.5.1. I am also getting an error message when trying to compress the database ("Failed to compress the database. Operation Failed [dbo.DEFAULT). I had 10.6 installed on another machine so I tried to access the locks or compress and I am getting the same exact error messages. I uninstalled 10.6 and went back to 10.3.1 and I am no longer getting either of those error message. It's been a very frustrating week. I upgraded from 10.3.1 to 10.6 and spent two days trying to figure out why I could no longer edit a versioned database. After calling tech support I was told there's a bug that affects 10.6 on Windows 7 so I downgraded to 10.5.1, went through the trouble of having to save all my .mxds  to be compatible with an older version only to find out there's another bug at 10.5.1. I guess I'll be stuck at 10.3.1 until ESRI no longer supports it....  

BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hi Alina,

I have the same NULL error popup in ArcMap today.

And the same compress FAIL errors

And ArcGIS Pro v2.1.2 will show connections but just crashes when clicking the "Show connected users and locks..." button > Locks tab

Unable to get lock list

A database connection exception has occurred

Column value is NULL

OK

RRobichaux-esristaff

RexRobichaux2
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you Bill and Alina for following up on this. I can provide you with an update- it appears the "not reproducible in  10.6" has been expunged from the defect and further testing is still ongoing. Therefore this looks to be (currently) an ongoing issue at 10.5.1 and 10.6 (and Pro 2.0+) that will hopefully be addressed soon. I'll ensure to update you when I have more information and/or there are developments with the BUG-000110574 defect. For anyone else experiencing this issue- if you have not already, I would suggest logging a case with Esri Support Services and reference the above defect as well as your system configuration. This will better assist Esri in gauging the number of users being affected by this behavior. 

I hope this has been helpful and to have more information soon!

BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

I tried compress from 10.3.1 and it fails too.

It grows the SQL Server transaction log until it fills the hard drive - which has now stoped the geodatabase working for users.

SQL Server 2014

Geodatabase v10.4.1

Windows Server 2008 R2

RRobichaux-esristaff

0 Kudos
RexRobichaux2
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Bill- sorry to hear you are still having issues with this compress / locks. The filling of the transaction log could well be due to existing / orphaned locks still existing. Did you ensure the following tables were completely empty in SQL before attempting the compress?

sde.SDE_object_locks
sde.SDE_layer_locks
sde.SDE_table_locks
sde.SDE_state_locks
sde.SDE_project_information

Additionally, I'd recommend truncating or deleting a large amount of the current transaction log to free up space in SQL. Further- ensure the  'Recovery Model' of the geodatabase is set to 'Simple' before running compress. You can change it back to 'FULL' after the compress if you want, or just leave it set to simple and change it to FULL when you want to take a manual or scheduled full backup of the database. 

Please feel free to give the above suggestions a try and hopefully, this gets your GDB back up, running, and accessible / compressed.