Options Other than Built-in Replica

Jump to solution
02-19-2024 08:24 AM
CodyPatterson
Occasional Contributor III

Hey all,

I've just received the unfortunate news that after days of work to enable versioning and create replicas of all of our datasets, our other GIS software 3GIS does not support versioning and we will need to turn it off to continue our work.

I was curious if anyone has been in this situation before? Transactional replication from SQL to SQL was not pulling all information over and could not be used in feature layers as Subtype codes and other ArcPro features were unusable.

At this point I'm looking for other methods to get this data across without the Create Replica tool, and without versioning enabled, definitely in a pickle.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@CodyPatterson - If you decide to go with your own ETL process, then that is something that needs to be build using the ETL Tools that I described, your data model and your data is unique to you, therefore you will need to choose the ETL Tool that you are more comfortable with or ask some ETL expert to help you automate the process, you can also reach out to Esri Professional Services for assistance if you want Esri to help you with the ETL process.

* ETL stands for Extract, Transform and Load

ETL Process ToolsSQL Server T-SQL, SQL Server Integration Services, ArcGIS Model Builder, Python Arcpy, ArcGIS Data Interoperability Extension, Safe Software FME Workbench / FME Server.

SQL Server Always-On Replication is a feature of SQL Server, you can read more details in the link below about connections from ArcGIS.

Connections to highly available SQL Server databases—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

I hope this helps.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@CodyPatterson - If you cannot use ArcSDE Geodatabase Replication with the Geodatabase Traditional Versioning for any reason, then you can use SQL Server Always-On Replication or you can build your own ETL process to synchronize the data via, SQL Server T-SQL, SQL Server Integration Services, ArcGIS Model Builder, Python Arcpy, ArcGIS Data Interoperability Extension, Safe Software FME Workbench / FME Server. I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
CodyPatterson

Hey @MarceloMarques 

Thank you for the suggestions, I'll have to check out the Always-On Replication, when we attempted the transactional it had some issues importing over the Feature Class info and I was unable to use any geoprocessing tools on the data itself. I was curious if you had any documentation or pointers to previous posters who have created a tool such as the one you mentioned?

Thank you!

Cody

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@CodyPatterson - If you decide to go with your own ETL process, then that is something that needs to be build using the ETL Tools that I described, your data model and your data is unique to you, therefore you will need to choose the ETL Tool that you are more comfortable with or ask some ETL expert to help you automate the process, you can also reach out to Esri Professional Services for assistance if you want Esri to help you with the ETL process.

* ETL stands for Extract, Transform and Load

ETL Process ToolsSQL Server T-SQL, SQL Server Integration Services, ArcGIS Model Builder, Python Arcpy, ArcGIS Data Interoperability Extension, Safe Software FME Workbench / FME Server.

SQL Server Always-On Replication is a feature of SQL Server, you can read more details in the link below about connections from ArcGIS.

Connections to highly available SQL Server databases—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

I hope this helps.

CodyPatterson

Hey @MarceloMarques 

I think that answers my questions, thank you for the information!

Cody

0 Kudos