Personal Geodatabases (v9 and v10) where are raster mosaic and catalog references stored?

02-07-2024 10:09 AM
Labels (1)
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

I'm going to preface this by saying I am well aware that Personal Geodatabases are not supported in Pro. Please do not tell me that they are unsupported, I know.

That being said.

In Personal Geodatabases you can make managed and unmanaged raster catalogs, the difference being whether it copies the rasters in the database (managed) or stores a reference (unmanaged). In V10, you can also make mosaics, which are also "unmanaged".

My question is: How can I tell which file it's referencing by looking at the tables in the MDB?

In Version 9 (only has raster catalogs):

Spoiler

In the GDB_RasterColumns table, it shows I have a managed (testcatman) and unmanaged (testcatunman) raster catalog. Note: They have the exact same component files.

AlfredBaldenweck_0-1707327276614.png

Opening the table for each one, the managed one lists the component files, while the unmanaged one has a record for each file, but it's completely blank.

AlfredBaldenweck_1-1707327355163.png

V10:

Spoiler
In V10, I have a managed, unmanged raster catalogs, and a raster mosaic (AMD_testmos_conv_CAT)
AlfredBaldenweck_3-1707327757736.png
It doesn't look like we have the same problem with raster catalogs as we did in V9:

AlfredBaldenweck_2-1707327714117.png

However, the mosaic does not have a nice file path for the files; it instead has that information in a binary field.

AlfredBaldenweck_4-1707328560663.png

Is there an easy way to get the path, or do I need to parse binary?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
0 Replies