Synchronize replica failed

10-08-2022 04:36 AM
IoannisKotaridis
New Contributor

Hello,

I have created a "main" geodatabase that is stored on the company server. I want to replicate this gdb to a few users that will be the operators (edit data) on their corresponding replicas and be able to synchronize changes at the end of the day. So, I login as the sde on the "main" gdb and as a simple user on the "local" gdb. Then, through the create replica tool, I replicate the feature dataset from the "main" to the "local" gdb. However, when I try to synchronize my changes from the "local" to the "main", I get the following message:

IoannisKotaridis_0-1665228903245.png

Any potential workarounds?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MarlonAmaya
Esri Contributor

Hi @IoannisKotaridis ,

Can you confirm that the user you are connected with to perform the sync operation is the version owner of the replica? You can see who the owner is using the Manage Replicas pane.

In addition, what type of replica did you create? (one-way, child to parent? two-way? or check out/check in?)

0 Kudos
IoannisKotaridis
New Contributor

Hi @MarlonAmaya,

The user is the owner of his own replica only, as you can see in the images presented below. The type of the replica is two-way. The image on the left depicts the main gdb that I am trying to sync my data.

parent gdb                                                                                                                                                                                              child gdb

IoannisKotaridis_1-1665435830963.pngIoannisKotaridis_3-1665436596755.png

0 Kudos
MarlonAmaya
Esri Contributor

@IoannisKotaridis 

Are you using the database connection on Child to synchronize? If so, try using the database connection from parent to sync the replica.

Also, what versions are being used? Default? Make sure the versions are not accidently set to Protected?

Lastly, you can check the owner of the replica versions specified in the error message using the the query in https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000011719 

Marlon

0 Kudos
IoannisKotaridis
New Contributor

@MarlonAmaya 

Yes I am using the database connection on Child to synchronize. If I use the database connection from parent to sync the replica, it works. However, considering that I have many replicas with the same parent, I want each user to be able to sync and not me as dba.

The Default version is used. The version access type is set to public.

The check that you mention can be done for postgres?

0 Kudos
MarlonAmaya
Esri Contributor

@IoannisKotaridis 

After looking at the image again, the versions (from error message) should be listed on the SDE_versions table.

When performing the sync using the child environment, is there a valid connection that is referencing the parent SDE? For example, via catalog that the sync tool is using. The sync process uses the relative replica connection that was initially applied during the creation of the replica. It could be possible that the child environment does not have access to the database connection that references the Parent side. If so, manually modify the connection property to a valid one for Parent.

Marlon

0 Kudos
IoannisKotaridis
New Contributor

Actually, I figured out that I was not using the correct relative replica connection.
The only thing that still concerns me is that If I create the replica as a DBA, the user also has to be connected as DBA  to synchronize the changes (which is not a thing that I want). On the other hand, if I create the replica with the credentials of the user, I have to give him read/write privileges to the main gdb (which is also not a thing that I want). Is there a potential workaround (regarding the 2nd option) to minimize the risk of the user modifying the main gdb?

0 Kudos