What would cause the oracle sde table space used size to reach 99%

Jump to solution
01-15-2020 08:54 AM
CJ_Broome
New Contributor III

The sde space has 400 MB allocated to it and is currently indicating that 99.4 percent of the storage capacity is used.  The dbtune file has been setup so that no spatial data can be stored in the sde tablespace; the sde table space only contains the ArcSDE system tables that make sde run.  The sde user schema contains the following system privileges:

• CREATE PROCEDURE
  • CREATE SEQUENCE
  • CREATE SESSION
  • CREATE TABLE
  • CREATE TRIGGER
  • ALTER ANY INDEX
  • ALTER SYSTEM
  • ANALYZE
  • SELECT ANY DICTIONARY
  • UNLIMITED TABLESPACE

The oracle database version is 12.1.2.0 and the ArcSDE version is 10.5.1

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Responses to your questions:

1. Yes, that is just a starting point

2. Yes, you can increase the SDE tablespace as needed. I would recommend auto growth with an unlimited size. Something like this: 

ALTER DATABASE DATAFILE 'DATAFILE_LOCATION\SDE'  AUTOEXTEND ON MAXSIZE UNLIMITED

There should be no impact to the function of the GDB based on the size of the SDE tablespace. I would think that you would have more issues if you ran out of tablespace room than have too much.

--- George T.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
George_Thompson

There are a lot of items in the SDE schema (stored procedures, views, etc.) that also get created. I can see that table space getting larger if you have a versioned environment or lots of tables in the geodatabase.

The default size if 400MB when creating the Oracle Enterprise Geodatabase; Create a geodatabase in Oracle—Geodatabases in Oracle | ArcGIS Desktop 

What is the main worry with it filling up the 400MB, no more space available on the Oracle machine or that it is using 400MB of space?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
CJ_Broome
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply George.

There is no issue with the Oracle machine; It's using 400MB space.  The database does have a versioning environment and there are lots of tables in the database.

Questions:

1. Is the default sde tablespace size of 400MB just a starting point?
  2. Can you increase the sde tablespace size from the default 400MB to something larger? Will increasing the tablespace size cause any unseen issues to the function of the gdb 
0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Responses to your questions:

1. Yes, that is just a starting point

2. Yes, you can increase the SDE tablespace as needed. I would recommend auto growth with an unlimited size. Something like this: 

ALTER DATABASE DATAFILE 'DATAFILE_LOCATION\SDE'  AUTOEXTEND ON MAXSIZE UNLIMITED

There should be no impact to the function of the GDB based on the size of the SDE tablespace. I would think that you would have more issues if you ran out of tablespace room than have too much.

--- George T.
CJ_Broome
New Contributor III

Thanks for the info George.  You confirmed what I was thinking.

0 Kudos