Alternative way of creating flat buffers using standard ArcView License

04-20-2010 03:12 AM
AndrewMayes
New Contributor
Hi,
I'm currently undertaking some analysis in ArcView that requires the use of 50m buffers along a line. However, the line itself is broken into sections and I need to create flat buffer at the end of each section (as opposed to the standard round buffers that are used within the ArcView licence) to avoid double counting within the overlapping circular ends. Given I dont have an ArcInfo Licence, is there an easy alternative approach I could use to get the same resulting buffer?
An obvious step would be to create individual rectangular polygons for each section, but given that the line lengths of each sections are likely to change over the course of the project as the design is refined, I was hopeful of finding a way to do this whereby I could easily re run the the process if if changes were made.
Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I've attached a simple diagram of the issue I have to explain it better. The red line indicates the ideabuffer break as opposed to the circular ends which obviously create overlaps.
Thanks very much in advance.....
Andy
0 Kudos
20 Replies
JackZHANG
Occasional Contributor II
Thank you jakubsisak! The code works like a magic!
0 Kudos
FrederiqueLemieux
New Contributor
I would like to do this but using Python script, can anyone point me in the right direction?

I've just started learning Python having a  trouble figuring out how to do this.

Cheers
0 Kudos
JakubSisak
Occasional Contributor III
I would like to do this but using Python script, can anyone point me in the right direction?

I've just started learning Python having a  trouble figuring out how to do this.

Cheers

The function I wrote requires ArcObjects and works with VBA, Vb .Net.  Python scripting is geared towards geoprocessing. I am quite certain this cannot be done with Python.
0 Kudos
PaulLugowski
New Contributor
The function I wrote requires ArcObjects and works with VBA, Vb .Net.  Python scripting is geared towards geoprocessing. I am quite certain this cannot be done with Python.

Hi
Is it possible to rewrite the script for ArcGIS 10 Add-in? When you try to use the script in Visual Studio 10 jumps a lot of mistakes.
Thanks very much
Paul
0 Kudos
JakubSisak
Hi
Is it possible to rewrite the script for ArcGIS 10 Add-in? When you try to use the script in Visual Studio 10 jumps a lot of mistakes.
Thanks very much
Paul

Yeah, I have an add-in but have not posted it.  If you'd like I can email it to you.
0 Kudos
JakubSisak
Hi
Thanks very much
Paul

the ArcGIS 10 Add-in version is now available for download
0 Kudos
PaulLugowski
New Contributor
the ArcGIS 10 Add-in version is now available for download

Hi
Thanks for the add-on provides access but there was a small problem because I can not use this add-on due to error:

--------------------------- LineBuffer_FlatEnds ---------------------------
Unable to set current layer EDITOR. Make sure the target layer is selected teplate!
--------------------------- OK ---------------------------

Can I ask you some brief instructions for using this tool?
0 Kudos
JakubSisak
Hi
Thanks for the add-on provides access but there was a small problem because I can not use this add-on due to error:

Unable to set current layer EDITOR. Make sure the target layer is selected teplate!

Can I ask you some brief instructions for using this tool?

Hi @pollacko,
I added instructions: http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=54ad502f798c4cc780a1132ad44670a9

Most tools I made (especially those that are stand-alone like this one) follow the same basic principles:  must be editing, the source features that are being processed must be selected and the layer in which the features are contained must be selected in the TOC. You must also select the the destination layer template by clicking it in the "Create Features" window.  (This is what was referred to as the target layer in legacy ArcGIS versions.)  These actions "tell" the Add-In where the features you want to buffer are and where they need to be stored.  

I tested the tool when writing the instructions and all worked well. (ArcGIS 10, SP4) not supported in any other version.
0 Kudos
PaulLugowski
New Contributor
Hi @pollacko,
I added instructions: http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=54ad502f798c4cc780a1132ad44670a9
I tested the tool when writing the instructions and all worked well. (ArcGIS 10, SP4) not supported in any other version.

Hi

When I set all the instructions I get the message:
As a result of calls to the COM component has returned HRESULT E_FAIL error.

or

Unspecified error. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004005 (E_FAIL))

I have Arcgis 10 sp4.
0 Kudos
jonasengstrom
New Contributor
Hi @pollacko,

Most tools I made (especially those that are stand-alone like this one) follow the same basic principles:  must be editing, the source features that are being processed must be selected and the layer in which the features are contained must be selected in the TOC. You must also select the the destination layer template by clicking it in the "Create Features" window.  (This is what was referred to as the target layer in legacy ArcGIS versions.)  These actions "tell" the Add-In where the features you want to buffer are and where they need to be stored.  

Hi!

I get the error  "As a result of calls to the COM component has returned HRESULT E_FAIL error."

Any idea what could cause that?

Cheers jonas
0 Kudos