Any way to control bit depth on Image Analysis Window difference function OR export?

02-01-2011 02:43 PM
AndyRitchie
Occasional Contributor
If I difference a couple of 32 bit float rasters where they overlap, I end up with a 64-bit temporary raster. If I want to export it (right-click, export), I can't change the bit depth.

Actually, I can't figure out how to change the bit depth without saving the 64-bit raster, which complicates my workflow a bit. Since it's an .afr, I have to save it to use the tools I am familiar with.

If there's a way to apply a function on this .afr with python, please just point me in the right direction...

I really like how quick it is to do some common raster operations like differencing in the image analysis window, but it's not quick and easy if it generates an intermediate product that you have to save before you can change the bit depth to what you want.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
RobertBerger
New Contributor III
Greetings,

You can try to use the output bit depth on the general tab in the function chain (layer properties > function tab > your function that you want to change). However, I don't know what will happen if you change the output from 64 to 8 bit (if it scales or truncates). But that might help.
I don't know of a way to apply functions like this through python. You can do this through the API if you want to go that route.
You can use the layer as input to geoprocessing tools as well.

Robert
0 Kudos