Arc 9.3.1 failure to intersect

07-26-2017 06:43 PM
WalterWitt
New Contributor III

Using ArcGIS 9.3.1, I successfully executed an Intersect between two polygon shape files (I tried intersecting 3 shape files first but the license won't allow that apparently. So, I then tried to intersect the successful intersection with the third file, using a second Intersect. This repeatedly fails. I tried the same Intersect at another institution using Arc10.0 but got the same failure. Is Arc detecting that one of the files is already the product of an intersect and therefore denying me the chance to intersect a third file? The error message I get is:

Executing: Intersect "'Intersection_diek buffer_F2 buffer' #;'br200k_lithological_unit_prospective units' #" "L:\Nero_Alternate\Kuusamo_GIS\Finnish GTK stuff\FS_Geology\200k_Finland_tm35Fin\Arc translations\Intersection_dike_F2_prospunits.shp" ALL # INPUT

Start Time: Thu Jul 27 09:36:41 2017

Reading Features...

Cracking Features...

ERROR 999999: Error executing function.

Invalid Topology [M coord limit exceeded.]

Failed to execute (Intersect).

End Time: Thu Jul 27 09:36:43 2017 (Elapsed Time: 2.00 seconds)

0 Kudos
17 Replies
JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

ALso if you are able to share the shapefiles we could determine if it is a differnece of versions.

0 Kudos
WalterWitt
New Contributor III

How does one attach a shape file John?

0 Kudos
JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

Zip up the shapefiles - you can upload them to a google drive or equivalent and share the link that way

0 Kudos
WalterWitt
New Contributor III

John

I’ve uploaded the files to Dropbox (KSfiles.zip). It is shared with geonet@esri.com

Cheers

Walter

0 Kudos
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

When I have had erase or intersect tools fail with ArcMap, I usually try:

• Splitting those polygons with too many vertices by running the Dice tool with a vertex limit of around 20 000. Unfortunately this tool is only available with the ArcInfo license level. 
  • Running the Repair Geometry GP tool (it is surprising how many errors creep into the geometry during a workflow)
  • Saving to a geodatabase

But I also noticed your error message referred to "Invalid Topology [M coord limit exceeded.]" You can try converting your shapefile to a new one with M Values set to Disabled under the Environment settings.

It has been many years since I opened ArcMap 9.3 so what I have written above applies to ArMap 10.x but I am hoping this functionality was available In 9.3

0 Kudos
WalterWitt
New Contributor III

Nice ideas Mervyn but no success, I'm afraid.

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

Try to export them to new shape files and retry.

0 Kudos
WalterWitt
New Contributor III

The files are now uploaded to Dropbox and shared with geonet@esri.com. The folder is called KSfiles.zip

0 Kudos