Attempting to delete parts of buffers that overlap into a different district.

Jump to solution
2 weeks ago
AllanLambert
New Contributor III

I've created 300 buffers around parcels.  Many buffers go outside of the zoning district the parcel is located. I need to clip the buffers because they cannot apply to the parcels in the neighboring district.  I've used Intersect with the 300 parcels, the 300 buffers and the 50 zoning districts.  See the attachment. I think I need to Dissolve on the SITUS while somehow keeping the poly with the greatest area.  While I pay for a lot, I don't have the Business Analyst toolset. I don't have a lot of Python experience.  Is there another tool or series of tasks that I can use to accomplish this?  The parcels on which the buffers are based also have the desired district as an attribute (Hampton River 1) ...if that's any help.  I JUST thought of concatenating the SITUS and NAME field in the Buffer and doing the same to the Parcel.  Then do a table join with parcel on the new fields so only the keepable 300 should match.  But that's a very long way around the barn and I don't want to put all those steps in a model.  Any ideas are appreciated. Allanbuffer.JPG

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dale_Honeycutt
Occasional Contributor II

An approach I'd take:

• First, use the Identity tool to identify which zoning districts your points fall within.  
  • Run Buffer on those points
  • Run Intersect with the buffer and zoning districts
  • Delete any buffer polygons where the buffer's zoning district isn't equal to the intersected zoning district.

(I can provide a a step-by-step example if you'd like)

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Dale_Honeycutt
Occasional Contributor II

An approach I'd take:

• First, use the Identity tool to identify which zoning districts your points fall within.  
  • Run Buffer on those points
  • Run Intersect with the buffer and zoning districts
  • Delete any buffer polygons where the buffer's zoning district isn't equal to the intersected zoning district.

(I can provide a a step-by-step example if you'd like)

AllanLambert
New Contributor III

That works and it's a lot fewer steps than my clunky plan.  Thank you.