Bearing + Distance to Polygon

12-02-2013 11:41 AM
KathrinSchulte-Braucks
New Contributor III
Hello ArcGIS Community,

my intention is to create polygon features in the form of a compass rose. I use the bearing distance to line tool which works fine, creating the lines in the designated angle and distance from the center point of the compass rose.

But now I need polygons. I tried to use Feature to Polygon for the compass rose line FC only and also for a FC containing a merge of the compass rose lines and a buffer of the center point, but the result is always a circle not containing the angular divisions.

So how can I make polygon features out of my compass rose lines?

Thank you

Kathrin
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Hello ArcGIS Community,

my intention is to create polygon features in the form of a compass rose. I use the bearing distance to line tool which works fine, creating the lines in the designated angle and distance from the center point of the compass rose.

But now I need polygons. I tried to use Feature to Polygon for the compass rose line FC only and also for a FC containing a merge of the compass rose lines and a buffer of the center point, but the result is always a circle not containing the angular divisions.

So how can I make polygon features out of my compass rose lines?

Thank you

Kathrin

I believe you should buffer the lines a very small distance that would be nearly identical to a line width at the scale the polygon is going to be displayed at.  You probably would want beveled ends for the line buffers.  This set of polygons could merge with your center point buffer if you needed a single polygon with all of those shapes together or you could keep them a separate shapes with a common attribute if you need them to overlap.  The polygon will be scale dependent for the optimum presentation.  In any event, there is no way to make either a point or a polyline into a polygon without a buffer or closure of the line ends.
0 Kudos
KathrinSchulte-Braucks
New Contributor III
Thank you! 🙂

Okay, finally found a way: I chose a longer distance for bearing distance to line and used my Multiple Ring Buffer + the new compass rose lines (that are longer than the distance of the MRB to the center point) in the Feature to Polygon tool. The result is exactly what I wanted concerning Feature to Polygon.

But I discovered a different problem. The compass rose is somehow rotated a few degrees. I made one line every 15°, but the starting line is not 0/360 but something like 2°/362°...
0 Kudos