Clip to crash

10-20-2010 06:03 PM
SteveParsons
New Contributor
Hello,
I am new to arcGIS and this forum and I know some may say this question is answered somewhere, but I am in Cambodia and don't have enough bandwith to search it thoroughly.
I have arcview 9.1 and when I try to use the clip tool it immediately crashes. I have tried on 2 computers, one a netbook and the other a MacBook using virtualbox with windows XP.
Can anyone help me here?
Sorry, I can't search thoroughly, but I work for a start up NGO and we have very slow internet here in Cambodia.
Thanks
0 Kudos
4 Replies
BBicking1
Esri Contributor
Hello,
I am new to arcGIS and this forum and I know some may say this question is answered somewhere, but I am in Cambodia and don't have enough bandwith to search it thoroughly.
I have arcview 9.1 and when I try to use the clip tool it immediately crashes. I have tried on 2 computers, one a netbook and the other a MacBook using virtualbox with windows XP.
Can anyone help me here?
Sorry, I can't search thoroughly, but I work for a start up NGO and we have very slow internet here in Cambodia.
Thanks

Hello rainman32,

please provide details on your workflow and the steps you've taken that led up to the crash.
If you work with a fully licensed ArcGIS 9.1-Arcview, you can also turn to Esri Tech Support.

Barbara Bicking
Geoprocessing Team
0 Kudos
SteveParsons
New Contributor
Thanks for your response.
What happens is that I'm working with a huge detailed map of Cambodia and I wanted to clip just the province that my NGO works in, I hit the red toolbox icon and the search for clip. There are 3 options there and once I click any of them, the program immediately closes without any explanation.
0 Kudos
TyroneOglesby
New Contributor
I am having the same problem in 9.2...which is totally weird because I have used this command with success many times in the past.  The projections are identical and the geometry is clean.  Its a simple polygon on polygon clip to create a filter mask on the areas out of focus of the study area.

This seems to have been a problem for many years but only surfaced in my environment just now.  I am using Vista and ArcView SP6....there has to be a patch somewhere that can fix this issue.
0 Kudos
TylerBragg
New Contributor II
Don't know if this will help now, but I do know that there were some problems with ArcGIS at 9.1/2/3 and Internet Explorer versions that actually caused this to happen (I can't remember which IE version--maybe 7).  I experienced the same problem when the IT staff pushed out an automatic IE upgrade--next thing I knew, the tools wouldn't work.  But it wasn't just confined to the Clip tool--If I recall correctly, I believe every tool in the toolbox (that we tried) resulted in ArcMap crashing.  We tried from ArcCatalog too.  Still crashed.  The only solution was to uninstall ArcGIS, downgrade Internet Explorer, then reload ArcGIS.  Then it would work.  I'm not sure why there was such a catastrophic conflict between the two programs, but that's what we experienced. 

Tyler
0 Kudos