Creating new sort field for Point to Line Tool

06-05-2015 03:32 AM
NaimeCelik
Occasional Contributor

I used Point to Line tool with a data which normally have a sort field. What I want to do is just create lines follows points.However for some lines, I am having problem due to irregularity on numbers in the sort field.  They are either not going consecutively or the beginning of the number is right by the last one. How can I create new sort field? Or what analyse would detect those lines?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

could you provide some further information such as

• how many points were there
  • was point 1 at the beginning of the sort list and 9999 the last
  • are the points sorted correctly in the first place

anything else that you can think of

0 Kudos
NaimeCelik
Occasional Contributor

Actually original data have more than million points.it has attribute fields 1)name of the line and 2)sort field which is probably the number came during gps data collection (I used that field as sort field). Mostly those numbers are consecutive for each line name. But for some lines, the numbers  are not consecutive. The figures only shows some line as an example of the problem. I would like to connect 1 to 9999 then connect the rest of them following their spatial direction.

If I split created lines at vertices, then the lines with the larger segments can be detected, but if the jump is small, I am not sure how to detect them

0 Kudos