Error Message while Using Intersect Tool

04-20-2015 08:14 AM
TomVo
by
New Contributor II

Hello,

I have been receiving error message during intersecting process (picture). I am trying to intersect between these two layers: 1) city boundaries and 2) buffers of those cities. Have anyone face this issue before? Please let me know how to solve it.

Thanks in advance!

Tom.

33 Replies
TomVo
by
New Contributor II

Sephe,

Yup, there are lots of buffers! That is just a portion of it..haha.

I already checked those links that Sol posted. It is all about Repair Geometry and computer requirements. I believe the server I am using is satisfied with the software requirement. I performed Repair Geometry once but the error still exists.

SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Just as an FYI, sometimes Repair Geometry has to be run several times. I hate to make you run further down the wrong road though, if that is the case.

TomVo
by
New Contributor II

like...3-5 times?

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Yes, I think that would be sufficient. If that didn't do it, then your problem lies elsewhere.

0 Kudos
Sol_Wuensch
Occasional Contributor II

Yeah, that's a lot of buffers...

I'm not one to suggest support right away, but I think you've done your due diligence in trying to figure this one out on own and the help of others.  Is tech support an option for you?  If you do open a support incident, provide them the link to this thread so they can see what you have already tried.  I would ask to be escalated to a more advance support analyst from the beginning too, maybe one of the ESRI people here can take your case, IDK?

TomVo
by
New Contributor II

Sol, yeah that is a lot of buffers....roughly 11k buffers for the study area.

I have tried different ways but still couldn't fix the issue. My next step is to contact the ESRI support team to see if they have any solutions...

Do you know a link where i can open the ticket?

Thanks,

Tom

0 Kudos
Sol_Wuensch
Occasional Contributor II

Esri Support  - Probably need to fill out a support request form.

Or you can call them? 1 (888) 377-4575

0 Kudos
RakeshSinha
Occasional Contributor

Hi Tom,

It is quite possible that the output which is to be generated goes beyond the 2 million vertices mark and hence hitting the Dicing Godzillas. Does both your input feature together goes beyond the 2 million mark? I may  be wrong but I have a very strong feeling it is the case here and specially after smaller datasets just works fine. I guess one of the Esri tech support analysts would be in a better position to test the issue with the data and give you an appropriate resolution/reason just in case you would like to go that route.

As already mentioned by Sol please do mention this thread in the support request form such that the analyst gets a fair idea what has been tried as of now and what needs to be done. Thanks Tom!

0 Kudos
TomVo
by
New Contributor II

I tried the 'Repair Geometry' tool but the error still exists. However, i reduced the size of the dataset, it did not give me any error messages.

At this point, I feel it is giving me error message is because my data is exceed that '2 million vertices'. I will go ahead and check out 'Dicing Godzillas' for any solutions..

Thanks,

Tom

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Can we retreat to the reason 'why' you are trying to do this?  What is the purpose.   Are you trying to generalize a boundary?  To consider:

• A buffer is going to be treated as a 360-ngon (361 points, and their segment representation)...that is a whack of points per city let alone intersection
  • Would a convex hull or extent rectangle suffice?  This would reduce the total number of geometries produced (5 points for rectangle, worst case 361 for circle).   In other words...why the circle?
  • If it is mission critical, have you considered tiling the operation?

As you can tell by the results...it just isn't going to happen in its current state, and you may not need it in the first place.