highest concentration of elderly residents = heat map?

12-18-2023 11:40 AM
AlexP_
by
Occasional Contributor III
Hello all.

I have ArcGIS Desktop, GP tool, ArcGIS Pro /online/portal, python, enterprise. 

GIS Map of the City, with points for elderly residents. Those point clusters should start to create a heat map like visual that can show where the highest concentration of elderly residents live. The points for the trolly stops and  public transit stops should be the easiest points to source and are there purely for context about nearby transit options the clusters might have available. This person identified several age bands for the data (maybe color coded) 60-70, 71-80, => 81. Some potential data sets we might be able to use to source the demographic info were parks data (silver club members, current - but that will be a small pool), potentially voter registration,  golden passport members. Those were just some ideas that came up - we're open to any additional data sets that can help us inform the outcome we're looking for. 

Please kindly advise. Thank you for your support and your time. Alex
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RonaldHaug
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Alex,

Could you use census block data?

"The 2020 Demographic Analysis (DA) tables contain feature national estimates of population and net coverage error. The estimates of population are available by age, sex, race, and Hispanic origin developed from administrative records, to be used to assess coverage in the decennial census."

https://www.census.gov/data/tables/2020/demo/popest/2020-demographic-analysis-tables.html#:~:text=Th....

This is for the United States, but maybe you could find similar information for a number of countries and administrative boundaries at their respective gis portals.

Heat mapping for the elderly is a great idea because you can locate services they need near them.

Good on you, Alex P!

0 Kudos
AlexP_
by
Occasional Contributor III

@RonaldHaug  Hello thank you for the info. I am rusty. i was trying to pull data but i am unable to. it shows only table of total population. and how do i set up heat map? please kindly advise. thank you.

0 Kudos
RonaldHaug
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Alex,

Getting data out of the Census requires patience and persistence. It's the government. What did you expect? Keep trying and use the help directions given.

You can set up a heat map by following the directions listed here, which I found by googling "heat map ArcGIS pro" : https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/how-to-create-heat-maps-in-arcgis-pro-using-the-densit...

You may want to google "optimized hotspot analysis arcgis" for something a bit more au current.

I am not doing your homework for you, though. A good idea is one you'd be willing to do yourself.

Happy holidays!

0 Kudos