Links to ARCHIVED FORUMS

04-26-2010 04:59 PM
JimBarry
Esri Regular Contributor
Here are links to the older discussion forums associated with the topic:  Geoprocessing

ARCHIVED FORUMS:
ArcGIS Desktop - Geoprocessing ArcToolbox
ArcGIS Desktop - Geoprocessing ModelBuilder   
ArcGIS Desktop - Geoprocessing Scripting (Python, JavaScript, VB)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DarshaHardy
New Contributor II
Where have the pre 2010 threads gone?
Those 'archived' forums now only seem to contain around 14 posts each - all from this this year.
0 Kudos
ChrisSnyder
Regular Contributor III
Sorry ESRI, but this new forum is no good! You should have carried over all the old three topics to the new forum and tried to integrate the old posts into the new forum database. As an experienced user/poster to the good ole' Geoprocessing Scripting forum, I find the new overarching "Geoprocessing" topic way to broad and I am at a loss to understand why everything was tossed together (I guess I am a splitter, not a lumper). Some suggestions:

1. Bring back the old topic categories (at least the relevant ones - Map Objects can probably go away, right?).
2. Figure out a way to link the old forum posts to the new system so at least you can search them w/ the new system. It sure would be nice if you could post stuff to the old forum topics with the new system!
3. All the new functionality is okay, but... Do we really need all this... fluff? :confused: ha ha... well I guess that really helped emphasized my point, maybe we do need that after all!

I'm only 32 years old, but this new web 2.0 forum stuff makes me feel like when I first opened Office 2007: "What the $%#@.... How am I supposed to find anything!?!" BTW: I still have Office 2003... from my cold dead hands...
0 Kudos
ChrisSnyder
Regular Contributor III
Test this is 10 characters
0 Kudos
ThomasDilts
Occasional Contributor III
I have to agree with Chris.  I don't see the advantages of this new format other than a few added icons.  Now I've got to go looking all over the place to find solutions whereas before we only had arcscripts and the good old forums.  One simple search did it all!  As for the new script gallery we've got the following nearly identical galleries:

Model and Script Tool Gallery
http://resources.esri.com/geoprocessing/index.cfm?fa=codeGallery

Geoprocessing Model and Script Tool Gallery
http://resources.arcgis.com/gallery/file/geoprocessing

To make matters worse ESRI is threatening to close the old forums rendering all of the past 20 years of work obsolete.  Straight from ESRI  "As of April 2nd, 2010, ArcScripts is closed for all new scripts and edits to existing content; however, we will keep them read-only for at least several years."  A lot of old ideas are invaluable for building new tools.  I'm really hoping that ESRI changes their minds and keeps the library of user knowledge available for many years to come.
0 Kudos