model builder replacing XMI ?

04-09-2010 11:56 AM
RobRader
New Contributor II
I understand that the process in use by many customer's of building a data model in Visio and then Exporting it to XMI to build their initial data schema is being planned as being replaced by model builder.

Has anyone built a complex data model (thinking 350 Feature classes, 25 datasets, 500+ relationships) into a model builder application to see if it will run?

I know these exist for some customers in Visio, but looking for a single customer who has done more than a small model in model builder.

Feel free to post if you have thoughts or ideas on this question.
A) How did you handle "buy off" scenarios between teams?
B) How did you revision control the model?
C) What sort of model components did you need to complete your project?

Rob
P.S. I personally can't imagine using the model builder interface to do a "search" on the model or handle the complexities of trying to build and get initial buy off.  So just to be clear I am looking for anyone who used model builder for this type of work flow.

Rob
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RobRader
New Contributor II
No responses on this one. I am hoping that as the Developers conference goes on this week that there might be more interest in this topic.

Again: Complex data models are frequently built in VISIO first, then provided in a Geodatabase. There is a push from ESRI to move the design system to model builder.

Has anyone successfully done this?
How did you manage design reviews?
How did you manage revision control?

If there is another thread where this is being discussed, please let me know.
Rob
0 Kudos
LoganPugh
Occasional Contributor III
Did you mean ArcGIS Diagrammer instead of ModelBuilder? Not sure why you'd want to use ModelBuilder to model a database, it's more for modeling processes.
0 Kudos
RobRader
New Contributor II
Did you mean ArcGIS Diagrammer instead of ModelBuilder? Not sure why you'd want to use ModelBuilder to model a database, it's more for modeling processes.

The answer given by ESRI has been complex models in Model Builder. The statement was made in the context that they are moving away from Visio / XMI. They then point to being able to design and maintain schema changes via model builder. This does not make sense to me and so I was hoping to get more information from anyone that might of actually tried this incredible feat.

Has anyone actually put together one of these models in model builder?http://resources.arcgis.com/content/energy-utilities-data-models
0 Kudos