Project (Data Management) not working with web layers

08-08-2023 07:52 AM
SamSzotkowski
New Contributor III

In ArcGIS Pro 3.1.2 I am unable to project web layers.  This includes layers from ArcGIS Online (including the Living Atlas), and from our Enterprise Portal (both hosted and reference feature layers).  I get "Error 000185: This data type is not supported" when adding such layers to the Project tool.

The documentation makes no mention of this limitation, but I feel like this used to work just fine.  I can't find any proof that I've done it in the past, but this is a common enough workflow that there's no way I just didn't notice until now, right?

For now the workaround is writing my own tool that emulates Project, but I'd like to see if other people are having this problem.  I can share my code if so.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
David_McRitchie
Esri Contributor

Hey Sam,

I do not believe this is possible as this tool could break a lot of web maps and apps if the projection system of data was changed to differ from a basemap.

You will therefore need a local copy of the layer, or one stored on a database.

Hope that helps,

David 

Esri UK -Technical Support Analyst
0 Kudos
SamSzotkowski
New Contributor III

The Project tool already creates a local copy as output, it doesn't modify the input.  You may be thinking of the Define Projection tool, which I agree would not make sense to accept web layers.

0 Kudos
David_McRitchie
Esri Contributor

Hey Sam,

Apologies I had forgotten there was a Project tool.

Based on the following documentation I think this will be one of these instances where most geoprocessing operations can be used, but not the Project tool as I do not think changing projection would follow under most analysis operations such as buffering. A local copy of the data will therefore need to be used.

Many thanks,

David

Esri UK -Technical Support Analyst
0 Kudos