Script error and simplyfying point "unique values" symbology

01-29-2015 09:09 AM
LukasKeller
New Contributor

Hello,

I have tried to use several tools like kriging, reclassify and probably some others. My problem is, that I get an error popup saying that there is some invalid pointer or something, row 51,...and some other things I have no idead what they mean. I'll add a picture of it, and although it's in Czech language, structure of the text shouldn't change across languages. Now it asks me if I want to run the script and if I click no, error message and the tool window will close and if I click yes, the tool window will stay, but it will have clear background. Any idea what is wrong? Is my instalation corrupted?

The other question is this: I have a set of points, trees in particular, and I have used near tool to calculate it's distance from lines, hoping, it would calculate only perpendicular distances, no angles. Am I wrong here? Should I use different tool or it can't be done in arcmap? Now when I symbolised the layer with unique values from the near_dist field, I get tens of values. I wouldn't be bothered but I would rather work with smaller set of values. Is there a way to do pretty much the same like reclassify with raster data?

Thanks

Lukas

chyba.jpg

mala louka.jpg

0 Kudos
10 Replies
TammieHarris
New Contributor

Were you ever able to figure out what was wrong?

I am currently running into this issue myself. Posted something a little while back and like yours, I haven't gotten any replies.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tammie Harris , the question by Lukas Keller has two parts, the error message and the perpendicular distance. I suppose you encountered the same error, right?

Could you include the link to the thread where you posted your question? Do you have a description of the steps taken and if possible do you a small set of data to help reproduce the error? You could also contact Esri support to review the issue.

0 Kudos
TammieHarris
New Contributor

The error message is the issue that I share with Lukas. I had previously posted the error message on GeoNet when I received it using Polygon to Raster and just recently experienced it again trying to reclassify like Lukas above. I have actually experienced it with a few different tools using many different data sets. I haven't tried contacting Esri support yet.

Here's the link to my post with all of the steps I have tried thus far.

0 Kudos
LukasKeller
New Contributor

Hello Tammie, actually I still don't know what's causing the problem. I should either do simple things without any tools or it may be caused by the fatc, that I use a student version of Arcmap.

0 Kudos
TammieHarris
New Contributor

I am also using ArcMap from a version provided by an instructor for a course. It's a temporary license that expires in about 6 months. A colleague actually suggested reinstalling the software and Xander replied to my original post about possibly needing to update to a newer version.

0 Kudos
LukasKeller
New Contributor

Well, I may try that in the future too. I remember, thata I had some problems using some basic tools like aspect, hillshade etc., and I found, that the problem was caused by folders named with diacritics. However, this isn't the case.

Anyway I have also heard, other student versions of different software packages can work with troubles, ie Autocad.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I wonder if you have an empty or null geometry in the polygon feature class....

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
LukasKeller
New Contributor

Well, actually no. Every "lake" (polygon) is separate.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Lukas Keller , regarding the perpendicular distance and using the Near tool. This tool calculates the distance from each point to the nearest line, regardless of the angle. It will not be perpendicular to the line.

So in the example below you want the distance to be calculated to the green line rather then the red line, right?

You could probably work with buffers from pairs of vertices and evaluate each pair of vertices if it should be used or not.

This can be scripted, but could result in huge processing times, depending the number of features (lines x points)...