Select to view content in your preferred language

Select by Attributes in Model Builder followed by Select by Location

Jump to solution
12-29-2023 11:23 AM
JuanVilla12
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I am working on a project using ADA ramps in a city with point data and a series of polygon data representing different equity zones, land use, etc within the metropolitan area.  

With the land use feature class, I have a variety of land use classifications such as residential, business, and industrial. 

So far I have used Model Builder to identify which ramps fall within the boundaries of the different polygon data I am working with.

Now I want to go further in my analysis and identify which ramps are located in proximity to different land use zones for my city, as I want to accomplish this by selecting by attributes (based on land use zones, as shown below) that are within the land use feature class. Screenshot 2023-12-29 134308.jpgCurrent ModelCurrent ModelSo far this is what my model looks like, my input feature is the ADA ramps followed by the different parameters that I set to allow me to change my different location criteria, but now I want to identify and use each specific land to identify which ramps correspond to each land use type in the city. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

Oh I actually just gave it a shot myself.

Here's an actual working model:

AlfredBaldenweck_1-1703882058414.png

The Updated Layer or Table view from the first Select by Attribute is fed directly into the Select By Location box as "Selecting Features". After that runs, I set the "Layer with Selection" as a precondition for a second "Select By Attribute", whose selection type is set to "Clear Selection".

Unfortunately that Clear Selection only seems to work when running the model through model builder (rather than the geoprocessing pane) but I added it because it was really annoying me to still have the polygons still be selected.

AlfredBaldenweck_3-1703882332466.png

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

I'm not that experienced with Model builder, but the way I'd code this is to add in the Select by Attributes in beforehand, then take the output layer and feed it in to Select by Location as the "selecting features" parameter.

AlfredBaldenweck_0-1703879581287.png

0 Kudos
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

Oh I actually just gave it a shot myself.

Here's an actual working model:

AlfredBaldenweck_1-1703882058414.png

The Updated Layer or Table view from the first Select by Attribute is fed directly into the Select By Location box as "Selecting Features". After that runs, I set the "Layer with Selection" as a precondition for a second "Select By Attribute", whose selection type is set to "Clear Selection".

Unfortunately that Clear Selection only seems to work when running the model through model builder (rather than the geoprocessing pane) but I added it because it was really annoying me to still have the polygons still be selected.

AlfredBaldenweck_3-1703882332466.png

JuanVilla12
New Contributor II

I tried your method and it worked, thank you.

I had the same issue with trying to run it through the geoprocessing tab but it worked fine through the model builder. 

I set the land use selection result as the input for the 2nd select layer by attribute. 

Screenshot 2023-12-29 172207.jpg

0 Kudos