SUPER easy please help: How to add a script tool as a button in ArcMap?

11-23-2010 07:11 AM
ArcGISUser
Occasional Contributor III
I'm kicking myself because I already did this and I tested this out in beta.  For the life of me I can't remember how to do it and the Search on the WebHelp isn't helping...  I know that it was really easy to do, new in 10 and very cool.  I could have sworn you had to add it via the Customize Mode or via right-clicking on a toolbar...

Does anyone know?  Thanks!
0 Kudos
8 Replies
ArcGISUser
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//002400000005000000.htm

Where it says, "Adding a custom tool to a menu or toolbar":

I don't seem to have "Geoprocessing Tools" as an option under "Categories" and I just have the "Geoprocessing" category. Even here I do not have an "Add Tools" button.  I tried adding the "Script tool wizard" but that remains unactive. I think I am confused. 😞  I think this was available in beta.
JoeVondracek
New Contributor III
In ArcMap 10, with the Customize dialog window open and the Commands tab active, at the very end of the Categories list there should be:
[Geoprocessing Tools]
[Menu]
[New Menu]

Do you not have those?  If you have the "[Geoprocessing Tools]"  category, you can select it and then Add a script tool from a Toolbox (Note: This tripped me up at first as I wanted to add the script directly from a Python file. AFAIK, you must first add the script to a Toolbox as a tool, and then you can add it into ArcMap as a custom tool from that Toolbox.).  Once you've added that tool, you can drag its icon to a toolbar in the ArcMap interface.  If you don't like the script-y icon, you can change it by right-clicking on the icon on the toolbar and either picking one of the standard images, or browsing for one.  In any case, once you're out of Customize mode, clicking on your new button should run your script tool.
0 Kudos
ArcGISUser
In ArcMap 10, with the Customize dialog window open and the Commands tab active, at the very end of the Categories list there should be:
[Geoprocessing Tools]
[Menu]
[New Menu]

Do you not have those?  If you have the "[Geoprocessing Tools]"  category, you can select it and then Add a script tool from a Toolbox (Note: This tripped me up at first as I wanted to add the script directly from a Python file. AFAIK, you must first add the script to a Toolbox as a tool, and then you can add it into ArcMap as a custom tool from that Toolbox.).  Once you've added that tool, you can drag its icon to a toolbar in the ArcMap interface.  If you don't like the script-y icon, you can change it by right-clicking on the icon on the toolbar and either picking one of the standard images, or browsing for one.  In any case, once you're out of Customize mode, clicking on your new button should run your script tool.

Ohhhhhh.... It is at the very end!! Yeah I was going alphabetically and I just saw Geoprocessing. Yup, yup this is exactly what I encountered during beta and bingo, there's my button on ArcMap as a cat!

Thank you for helping me out!  If I could give you 10 points I would. 😄
0 Kudos
ArcGISUser
there's my button on ArcMap as a cat!

... ok just for tool testing until my supervisor tells me to change it. 😮
0 Kudos
ArcGISUser
I should stop posting, but is that who I think it is??
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
The cat idea is better than a little JD.
0 Kudos
JoannaMerson
New Contributor
Hi,

I am trying to do the same thing but I am using 9.3.
at the end of the commands list, I only have:
[Macros]
[Menus]
[New Menu]
[UIControls]

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
NiklasNorrthon
Hi,

I am trying to do the same thing but I am using 9.3.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Two options:

• Upgrade

• Write one line of VBA that runs your script tool, and add that to a UI-Button

0 Kudos