Tesselation

03-06-2024 02:48 AM
NicolaConte
New Contributor II

Hi! I wanted to create a tesselation with vertical hexagons. Is it possible with a tool or method to change later some of the hexagons in order to create a custom grid with different outline colors, line width etc? I would use it both in ArchGIS online and Desktop 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you referring to 

Generate Tessellation (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
NicolaConte
New Contributor II

Kind of, let's say that I am able to create a tessellation and modify the entire layer, but specifically I was trying to understand if there's a way to treat each side of an hexagon or an hexagon as a single entity and therefore modify just parts of it

0 Kudos
Dale_Honeycutt
Occasional Contributor II

Do you just want convert the hexagon (polygon) boundaries to lines in order to symbolize them differently? Then try the Polygon To Line tool or the Feature To Line tool.  Polygon To Line will give you the left/right polygon topology which might be useful for your symbology needs?

As Dan suggest, perhaps you can expand on your intended purpose.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

you can edit any polygon or polyline, hexagons are no different.  Expanding on your intended purpose might be useful

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
NicolaConte
New Contributor II

I cannot see how to do that when the tesselation is represented as a unic layer and not a series of polygons 

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hexagons can't be tessellated themselves. You need to move on to triangles after the initial layer. I've actually got code for this in my Blog post.

Squares (aka diamonds) can be sub-tessellated, as can triangles themselves.

It's not clear what a unic layer might be.

- V

0 Kudos