Toolbox tools are blank - ARCMap 10

11-03-2011 05:18 AM
BradClay
New Contributor
When I open tools the tool page is blank of every tool. Ideas?
I already repaired, and updated. Nothing changed.
0 Kudos
19 Replies
HollieKitson
New Contributor
I'm having the same issue in 10.1. It just started about a week ago, seems like out of the blue. When I click on a tool using Toolbox the entire thing is grayed out. I can still use the tools in Python though. Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Thanks.
Hollie
0 Kudos
HollieKitson
New Contributor
Just got it to work. Resetting my IE settings to the default is what did the trick (open IE, go to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced Tab> Click on Reset button).

Here's the link to the discussion:
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/29715-arcmap-10-toolbox-search-help-features-suddenly-don-t-work
0 Kudos
ØivinAarnes
New Contributor

Thanks Stephanie Wendel!

This solved my problem (using ArcGIS 10.2.2), which I've struggled with for some time- even tried reinstalling ArcGIS.

1. shut down ArcGIS applications

2. rename registry folder (to create a new clean one) - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESRI

3. rename app_data roaming folder (to create a new clean one) - C:\Users\*****\AppData\Roaming\ESRI

4. reinitialize applications by running ArcCatalog

Cheers,

Øivin Aarnes

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Here's a document on the subject with more details - an essential ArcGIS Desktop skill!

Resetting your ArcGIS application profile

AndySmith
Esri Contributor

The following should help troubleshoot common ArcToolbox errors: geoXchange - Technical Support Blog - Troubleshooting Common ArcToolbox errors

The error you mention is specifically to do with a registry setting:

1. Go to Start > Run and type in: regedit

2. Go to HKEY_Current_User > Software > ESRI > Desktop 10.0 > ArcToolbox > Settings.

3. Locate the binary value called DlgHelpWidth, right-click it, and choose Modify.

4. Change the value data to cc. Click OK and close registry editor.

BrianMcAuslan1
New Contributor II

2024 and this worked for me ty

0 Kudos
UrosDjuric
New Contributor II

Hi,

I had same problem ... i tried everything .... cleaning registry, deleting everything related to ESRI and ArcGIS, renaming folders in registry and app data, system restore ... even clean install of ArcGIS ... nothing helped ...

Then, i have researched the problem and I have realized that problem was in upgrading of Internet Explorer  to v11 by default windows updater

So, I downgraded my IE to v 8.0  and I have set up security for ActiveX controls and plugins following instruction on this thread ArcGIS Geoprocessing Tools Scripting Error GISNuts.com

And whoa toolbox started to work like charm again...

I hope that this will help someone

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

strange...ie use IE 11 exclusively with no issues

0 Kudos
UrosDjuric
New Contributor II

I don't know ... Just couple of days ago, I had to reinstall complete OS with disk formatting, so I had clean OS installation and clean ArcGIS installation just few days ago. After couple of automatic updates of Win7x64 via windows  update I had this problem with blank toolbox windows. After downgrading IE and setting up ActiveX controls inside IE toolobx started to work again.

0 Kudos
JaeOgilvie
New Contributor

ESRI has posted a knowledgebase technical article about the problem. It appears to be related to McAfee or Avast antivirus messing with certain registry entries.

See 41057 - Tools open with blank dialog windows

Solution or Workaround

If McAfee is currently installed and must remain in use, contact McAfee for assistance. If McAfee is installed but not required on the computer, then uninstall it before proceeding with the solution below. After McAfee antivirus software is uninstalled, follow the steps below to resolve the issue.

1. Download the McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool (MCPR) and refer to the instructions: How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MC....
  2. Navigate to the directory where the MCPR file was saved.
  3. Right-click MCPR.exe and select 'Run as Administrator'.
  4. Follow the prompts.
  5. When the message is received 'CleanUp Successful', restart the computer.