trouble importing arcpy or arcgisscripting in IDLE

03-03-2010 06:47 AM
JonathanBoright
New Contributor II
An easy question here...

I've been using IDLE to run geoprocessing python scripts in previous versions of Arc, and I'l like to continue to do so... but I can't seem to import arcpy, or for that matter even arcgisscripting... I can get at them from the python window within ArcGIS (nice addition BTW!) 

What am I missing?

J
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JasonScheirer
Occasional Contributor III
Are you sure you're running the IDLE from Python 2.6 and not Python 2.5?

Try this in the interactive prompt in IDLE:

>>> import sys
>>> sys.version
'2.6.2 (r262:71605, Apr 14 2009, 22:40:02) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]'

You should get something that looks like "2.6.~~~~~~~"

Further troubleshooting (after issuing the first commands):

>>> sys.path

You should get back a list of directories. The directory for the arcgis desktop install should be there (something like C:\~~~~\ArcGIS\bin) -- if it's missing then Python's import path for ArcGIS has somehow been configured wrong.
0 Kudos
JonathanBoright
New Contributor II
thanks for the reply jscheirer,

I am definitely running 2.6... sys.version is:
'2.6.2 (r262:71605, Apr 14 2009, 22:40:02) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]'

however, I am running it on a 64-bit Windows 7 machine... perhaps that is my problem?

I think that you are on the right track with the second part of your response... sys.path has no ArcMap references in it...:
['C:\\Python26\\Lib\\idlelib', 'C:\\Windows\\system32\\python26.zip', 'C:\\Python26\\DLLs', 'C:\\Python26\\lib', 'C:\\Python26\\lib\\plat-win', 'C:\\Python26\\lib\\lib-tk', 'C:\\Python26', 'C:\\Python26\\lib\\site-packages']

...whereas my ArcGIS bin directory is in C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop9.4\bin...  (this is the directory where 32-bit programs are installed). I *have* added the ArcGIS bin to my PATH environmental variable... to no avail...

So... how do I configure my Python import path correctly?

Thanks again!

J
0 Kudos
JasonScheirer
Occasional Contributor III
The ArcGIS installer should have created a file called C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages\Desktop10.pth that adds the ArcGIS install to Python's path. You can manually recreate it. It's a text file with a list of paths on each line. You just need to open up notepad and enter the following:

C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop9.4\bin
C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop9.4\arcpy

and save it as C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages\Desktop10.pth. Then you should be good to go.
0 Kudos
JonathanBoright
New Contributor II
Great! that did the trick. Thanks!
0 Kudos
MiguelLeon
New Contributor
I seemed to have to add c:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\arcpy\arcpy to my Desktop10.pth before it would work. Not sure why.
0 Kudos