What makes Point features have invalid geometry

05-13-2016 06:52 AM
ScottLouque
New Contributor III

I am trying to learn how to build a geometric network and want to include catchbasins and culverts in this network. However, when I go to build the network I get builder errors and all of these errors are bc my point features have invalid geometries. I am trying to understand what makes these point features invalid before I go and replace 5000 point features manually.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Can you upload a sample of points that are causing issues?  It is helpful to work with the points directly, or at least some of them.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Well it is pretty hard to screw up a point and the repair geometry will do little to fix it Repair Geometry—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

considering that the only thing that could go surficially wrong is that a null point is created which, from other threads, just returns a point object with 0,0 as coordinates.  If it is returning a null object (like a python None or equivalent), then this could be readily detected.  So where the points were created is equally important, particularly if the original data were in some other form brought into a file geodatabase, which just persists errors and doesn't correct them (see Checking and repairing geometries—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop )

0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor

Run the AddXY tool on the data and then look at the values in the newly created fields, viz., Point_X and Point_Y, do they look out of place, like Dan suggested i.e. 0,0

-Steve

0 Kudos
RachelApplebaum
Esri Contributor

You could also try Recover File Geodatabase ( Recover File Geodatabase—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop ). That will only bring over simple feature classes, but if your points are good in the recovered database, you can create an empty feature class with the same schema in the same feature dataset as the geometric network and then load objects into it (Creating a new network junction feature class in the Catalog tree—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop and Loading new features into your geometric network—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop [this one says use the Network Incremental Loader, but if you're loading a lot of points, the Load Objects command might be faster {Adding the Load Objects command to ArcMap—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS for Desktop }])

-Rachel

0 Kudos
ScottLouque
New Contributor III

I think the problem may lie in how the points were created because I was going to try and export out to a lat/long coordinate system and it doesn't let me. The options to use the layers source data or use the data frame is greyed out.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

how were they created?

0 Kudos
ScottLouque
New Contributor III

I don't know. This dataset was created years ago before I was in GIS. I believe it was contracted out

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

interesting... and right-clicking on the layer and going to properties, reveals nothing about the data? and it doesnt have the red ! mark beside it either? well, nothing like a fresh start then

0 Kudos
QaisarNadeem1
New Contributor II

There could be an other reason that your line feature is added as a Simple Edge and is connected on both ends, in this case if your point feature lies on the edge, it will not snap and logical GN will give error of Invalid Geometry

Make your line features as Complex Edge then you wont get this error.