Having a seemingly random GIS problem - how do I fix it?

02-13-2015 04:45 PM
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor
1 8 2,292

Here is my list of things to try when having a random ArcGIS problem:

1. Restart ArcGIS
  2. Restart computer
  3. If problem seems map-related:
    1. Delete Normal.mxt, found in install folder. For me: C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.2\ArcMap\Templates
    2. Copy mxd to new map document
  4. If problem seems data-related
    1. Rebuild spatial index.
    2. If shapefile, save to GDB feature class. If GDB feature class, save to shapefile.
8 Comments
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
Sol_Wuensch
Occasional Contributor II

MXD Doctor for corrupted maps

Rename ESRI folder in Program Files? I think that has helped me once before and a suggestion I got from support once or twice.

Sol_Wuensch

Close all arc products and reopen them

Look in task manager and kill entire process tree when application hangs

Restart computer

(various other troubleshooting depending on specific problem)

Repair Install

Uninstall & reinstall

Call support

Darren Wiens I like this.  It makes me think that there should be a Q/A flow chart!  I'm guessing there probably already is one used by tech support.

ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Just a thought:

Given the plethora of issues they deal with, I wonder if the ESRI Tech Support folks have developed a flowchart to help in troubleshooting. 

Chris Donohue, GISP

Sol_Wuensch

Yeah, that's what I was hinting at.  I believe you were responding when I added that comment. oops.

Maybe they can share that flow chart with us?  Many of us have a general idea from our own troubleshooting experience.  There must be many flowcharts for all the different configurations and products and license levels.  Maybe someone with unlimited time and support calls can reverse engineer the flow chart for us? (just kidding of course)

DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

In experience, the flow chart goes something like:

1.) Do you have any third party tools installed?

- Yes: uninstall those

- No: go to #2.

2.) Do you have ArcGIS installed?

- Yes: reinstall ArcGIS

Sol_Wuensch

Wow, then you have had worse experiences than I have!  They usually try the normal template, renaming folders, uninstalling 3rd party apps, possible patches, and ask a lot of questions about our setup and applications.  OR sometimes they require me to send them a project or some data in order to test on their end and find the solution.  Several times I have asked for a screen sharing session and that the incident be escalated in the very beginning, while also explaining the situation in detail and everything that I have already tried.

DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

I was being very tongue-in-cheek. I've generally had good support, although I have had a few dead-ends that required reinstallation, after prolonged sessions of shipping data back and forth, sharing screens, attempting to skip steps by showing I'm not a complete idiot (that never works), reconfiguring system, etc.