Navigation GPS Device That Can Use ESRI Type Data

03-07-2024 12:38 PM
AKRRMapGuy
New Contributor III

Has anybody come across any GPS Navigation devices that can use Shapefiles or other GIS data, other than a cell phone? 

We used to have software that could create maps that could be loaded to Garmin devices and those maps could use shapefiles. That software is long gone, and Garmin now intentionally makes this difficult. These devices are truly just being used for navigation.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LisaRockwell1
New Contributor

Mobile mappers used to, but I'm not sure if they still make them. There's a variety of apps that use shapefiles. 

0 Kudos
AKRRMapGuy
New Contributor III

Yeah, we are literally just trying to find hardware that provides a map similar to viewing a Mobile Map Package or offline map in Field Maps, and works like a Pre Smart Phone navigation GPS unit. The no cell phone criteria is unfortunate. Even if we could use Field Maps, burning a creator license just for people looking at data is dumb. 

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I think the Garmin software can import KML files and you can convert any Arc data to KML easily.  Will be a lot of manual file passing like the old days.

If you can use a tablet Avenza works well and is cheap and simple - it works like a paper map so people like it.

You can sideload data and basemaps in 123 and use without an account.

The Garmin is going to be way more clunky and more expensive than a tablet for sure.  Rather outdated platform.  My guess is someone old school just made a decision without being up on the current options.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
AKRRMapGuy
New Contributor III

Thank you. I will look into that for tablets. 

I started by trying the KML route. The trouble I ran into was a total inability to retain and label the points from attributes in various GIS formats after converting to KMLs and trying to configure them in the Garmin map and loading application. 

I really wish Field Maps could side load like Survey123, if I could get something that can use a Mobile Map package, life would be easy, as long as we can find hardware that works in the cab of our equipment.