Shapefile of road area, UK

03-26-2024 07:24 AM
Niamh05
New Contributor

Hi, does anyone know where you can download the road networks for the UK, outlining the whole road. I have found many shp files for just the road network/link showing a singular narrow line, but I am looking for where I can download the road data that contains pixels for all of the road (like the image below). I tried vector data from OS Maps which is what the image is off below but it just given the narrow single line, not the whole road.

image.png

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JonathanMcD
New Contributor III

@Niamh05  If you're an OS customer I'd suggest using OS Build and Select Recipes to extract the carriageway/highway data. From your image above you're missing the footway/footpath data so, unless you don't actually need it, you're seeing what's to be expected. For a start, the Carriageway/Highway data is under Transport/Road in the recipe builder.
You won't find carriageway/highway data as polygons under Open Data and, across the UK, not every local authority has a completed road polygon dataset, so OS really is your first and only option of a complete dataset.

0 Kudos