Your Questions Answered — Skills Development

08-29-2023 03:53 PM
Suzanne-Boden
Esri Regular Contributor

At the GIS Managers Summit in July, attendees were able to submit questions for our live panel. While we had some great answers, there were dozens of questions we didn’t have time for, so we’re going to answer them here!

Our panelists will be posting, Q&A-style, over the next several weeks, so check back here regularly! This week, Esri's Justin Ogden answers questions about skills development.

Q: How can I get connected with an Esri training consultant for my organization?

A: Easy! Send me an email (jogden@esri.com) and I'll find the dedicated training consultant for your organization.

Q: How do you address team and talent development when you have a mix of new professionals just entering the workforce and staff who have years of experience with GIS?

A: Great question. It's good to see that you're recognizing the exciting dynamics that new professionals bring into the workforce. I've encountered similar situations and have found a few effective ways to address these team development and talent development challenges.

Consider organizing regular workshops of knowledge-sharing sessions. New tech trends can be introduced and discussed during these sessions. They can be led by both the new professionals and the experienced ones. It's a fantastic way to keep everyone updated on the latest innovations and ensures that expertise is spread throughout the team.

Recognize that everyone's learning curve is different. Tailor training programs that cater to both the tech-savvy new professionals and those who might be less familiar with certain technology.

Keep communication channels open. Regular feedback sessions can help address any concerns, challenges, or even suggestions from both sides. Sometimes, new professionals might feel hesitant to speak up, fearing they might be stepping on toes. Creating a safe space for open dialog is crucial.

Q: How can managers leverage training when they're unable to add users to the organization to use the products due to limited resources?

A: In situations like this, you can still make the most of the available training materials and resources. Here's how you might approach this challenge:

Start with publicly accessible self-paced training. This includes Esri massive open online courses (MOOCs), which include free access to ArcGIS software for use in the course; live and recorded training seminars at Esri Academy, and short video tutorials that team members can access without needing direct access to a product. Also, check out the instructor tips and tricks videos and blogs over on the Esri Training Community.

Encourage skill transfer. If you have a smaller group of individuals who do have access to the product, encourage them to become "internal trainers." They can then disseminate their knowledge to the wider team through workshops, presentations, or even one-on-one coaching.

Advocate for resources. While this might not be an immediate solution, advocating for additional resources, licenses, or training budget could help address this limitation in the long term. Highlight the benefits of having a well-trained team and the potential improvements it could bring to your organization. Show how this investment will save time and resources. 

0 Replies