How do you view the trees created by the Random Trees Classifier?

12-15-2016 09:10 AM
KyleHartfield
New Contributor II

I would like to actually inspect the trees created by the Random Trees Classifier. I have opened the .ecd file created by the training process and some of it is legible, but the bottom part is not. I am guessing those are the trees. I would actually like to see how classes are being separated and what values from each input are being used to split and classify the various classes.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Kyle

I checked with our development team, and they indicated it is not possible to view the tree structure - there was apparently no expectation that a user would want to inspect a large number of trees.

Cody B. 

0 Kudos
KyleHartfield
New Contributor II

Cody B.,

I have used SEE5 in the past, https://www.rulequest.com/see5-win.html, to perform similar classification and regression tree (CART) based classifications.

When I use SEE5 it outputs the trees that are being used to distinguish the different classes.

I was hoping to teach my students about CART based classification using a small amount of data so that they could dissect the trees.

Also, if I were to ever use the Random Tree classifier for my own research I would like to see how the data is being used. It can be informative to know what bands are helping delineate classes in case retraining is necessary.

Kyle