Imagery with NoData pixel values when displaying in Pro

Jump to solution
10-27-2023 09:00 AM
TrentReeder
Occasional Contributor

I have a TIFF raster (8 bit, 4 band) that displays NoData values in various locations when viewed in Pro.  I can view the same areas in IrfanView and the imagery displays normal.  It seems the raster in Pro has NoData values in the Red band.  Just trying to figure out why and what I can do about it.  See screenshots below

ArcGIS Pro:

TrentReeder_0-1698422161250.png

IrfanView:

TrentReeder_1-1698422203230.png

Thanks for the help.

Edit: ArcGIS Pro 3.1.3 and the imagery has no pyramids.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Brian_Carson
New Contributor

Trent, in the case of the image that you uploaded, the raster has the NoData Value set as 0,0,0,0 for all 4 bands. You can go into the Raster Properties via the Catalog Pane, and recompute the NoData Value for the raster. 

Once you have the raster properties open, click the pencil to edit the NoData Value > Click Compute > Then OK in the NoData Editor that opens. 

This resolved the display in the Filing 4 image for me.

NoData.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Peter_Becker
New Contributor

It is likely that the 4th band has been defined as an Alpha band and hence it is applying transparency. Try adding an extract bands function so that only bands 1,2,3 are returned. If you can export and include a small clip I can take a look.

0 Kudos
TrentReeder
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for taking a look!  I'll work with the Extract Bands function to see if that helps.

0 Kudos
Brian_Carson
New Contributor

Trent, in the case of the image that you uploaded, the raster has the NoData Value set as 0,0,0,0 for all 4 bands. You can go into the Raster Properties via the Catalog Pane, and recompute the NoData Value for the raster. 

Once you have the raster properties open, click the pencil to edit the NoData Value > Click Compute > Then OK in the NoData Editor that opens. 

This resolved the display in the Filing 4 image for me.

NoData.png

0 Kudos
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

Brian is correct. The source data has 0 defined as NoData for all 4bands. Following an extract from GdalInfo

PeterBecker_0-1701352730029.png

The image has 0 values in the red band so they are (correctly) being interpreted to represent no data. A no data pixel affects all bands. Instead of doing Compute, you can also set the value to 256 (out of range). You may find in other samples at the edge of the image that there are areas that appear black, but you want transparent. Check the data values here you may find that the Band4 is using 255  (or 1) for no data in these areas in which case set NoData in band 4 to 255 (or 1)

TrentReeder
Occasional Contributor

Hey Peter, I'll try your option as well.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
TrentReeder
Occasional Contributor

Great!  That worked!